In this position, you will underwrite new and renewal business which includes solicitation, selection and pricing of complex multi line risks (workers compensation, commercial auto, general liability). You will actively and creatively pursue new large account opportunities throughout the territory through your network of national and large regional brokers and agents. Maintain and develop prospects in order to have a strong base of future opportunities to build your large account book. Contribute to the development of broker and agency management strategies and lead the development and execution of relationship management plans.
- Analyze, select and profitably price coverage for large loss sensitive commercial risks and determine terms and conditions of coverage on new and renewal business.
- Apply and conform to underwriting rules and guidelines, rating manuals, insurance laws/ regulations.
- Utilize a consultative selling approach to generate new business consistent with underwriting strategy and in coordination with service team members to include accurately assessing the needs of the broker and the client and formulating solutions that effectively address those needs. Demonstrates an ability to bring others together, discuss differences and resolve them.
- Analyze underwriting & marketing activities and corresponding results; prepare reports to management. Demonstrate a knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Mentor and provide technical training and guidance to coworkers.
- Determine, coordinate and direct account management activities with various departments.
- Negotiate and deliver proposals to producers and buyers. Uses logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to challenges.
- Develop and maintain client relationships and coordinate service team efforts.
Identify opportunities for organizational improvement and recommend solutions. Has the ability to anticipate problems and creatively propose solutions to those issues.
- Demonstrate commitment to Company's Code of Business Conduct and Ethics, and apply knowledge of compliance policies and procedures, standards and laws applicable to job responsibilities in the performance of work.
This job has expired.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required
- Minimum of 4 years of casualty underwriting with an insurance carrier required
- Understanding and technical knowledge of underwriting mechanics and fundamentals
- Knowledge of casualty coverage and loss sensitive deal structures (retrospective rating, large deductible, prefund deductible).
- Additional knowledge in financial analysis, account management and collateral management is preferred
- Knowledge of local and regional market conditions as well as industry trends
- Knowledge of underwriting territory and strong relationships with the local distribution network (local and regional agents, national and regional brokers, and select consultants)
- Demonstrated proficiency in the successful marketing and prospecting of business opportunities, as well as, relationship building and agency management skills
- Ability to create a presence that conveys interest, conviction, and energy in maintaining relationships with external business partners
- Strong ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing to uncover business needs
- Is open to feedback: takes the time to understand the points being made and asks appropriate questions in response to those points
- Ability to foster creative solutions that resonate with external business partners
- Ability to interact with various levels of management and support personnel
- Advanced skills in marketing, analysis, decision making/problem solving, planning and organizing; sales and negotiation and mathematical proficiency
- Superior time management skills
- Strong desire to work collaboratively and foster a team oriented environment with Claims, Risk Control and other departments
- Overnight travel of at least once per month based on marketing and branch needs. Underwriters are expected to be visible with their agents and brokers in order to develop and maintain solid relationships and generate an adequate flow of qualified business
- MBA, Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU); Associate in Risk Management designation or other professional designations are desired