GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Working under minimal supervision, assists the Deputy Chair of Pathology in the administration of their duties and provides administrative support across the full range of the Deputy Chair's professional, clinical, consultation and scholarly activities. These include tasks associated with the day-to-day management of the Department's clinical and other activities; planning and future development for the Department, Hospital, HMS, BW Physicians Organization and Partners committees and task forces; management of discretionary funds; teaching activities; general correspondence; and manuscripts, including manuscript preparation. Also provides administrative coverage to the Chair and Executive Director as needed.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists the Deputy Chair of Pathology in the administration of their duties for the Department of Pathology. Tracks, organizes and if necessary completes work submitted through the Chair, Executive Director, Hospital Administration, Faculty, Residents and Department Administrator.
- Independently manages all aspects of the Harvard Medical School appointment and promotion process for initial faculty appointments and subsequent reappointments. This requires an in-depth knowledge of complex academic guidelines for multiple levels of academic appointments. Working directly with the Executive Vice Chair and Deputy Chairman, directs the process of gathering necessary data for institutional and Medical School committee reviews. Organizing and preparing/advising faculty on Curriculum Vitae preparation in the Harvard format, independently assessing and completing all required forms and obtaining required documents. Serves as the liaison with the HMS Department of Pathology, the Dean's Office, and the various HMS appointment committees. Interacts directly with a wide variety of Departmental faculty and HMS staff to troubleshoot and resolve problems in the administrative aspects of appointment and promotion process. Coordiantes Faculty Searches
- Independently manages, updates and maintains faculty lists, titles and assists with preparation of and changes to a variety of organizational charts. These faculty lists relate to many facets of Department organizational structure and visibility, are frequently requested directly from the President and Hospital Administration.
- Working with the Deputy Chair assists in setting up high level correspondence (offer letters) to incoming faculty, ensuring review by Department Executive Director and Research Administrator. Correspondence both follows format and requires individually crafted language so thorough knowledge of the process is required. Proofreads and ensures all relevant sections and changes are incorporated for final signature. Ensures all Department staff are aware of incoming faculty well in advance to prepare for Hospital credentialing and appointments. Prepares for arrival of new faculty with Executive Director and other Departmental leadership.
- Under very general guidelines, independently performs administrative tasks in support of the Deputy Chair's intra and extra-departmental duties (e.g., committees, task forces, special studies). This includes research, initiating communications, collecting and collating data, summarizing and reporting results, and serving as liaison for all routine administrative matters.
- Coordinates the On-going Professional Practice Evaluation (OPPE) and Focused Professional Practice Evaluation (FPPE) processes for the Department of Pathology. Forms and records are maintained electronically in a departmental shared drive.
- For the Deputy Chair, assists with the preparation and scheduling of correspondence, manuscripts, book chapters, galley proofs, protocols, abstracts, grant applications, lectures, and journal reviews.
- Responds to routine inquiries from the Chair, Deputy Chair, Executive Director, Faculty, Residents, Department Administrator, Hospital Administration, HMS Department's of Pathology and Faculty Service Chiefs, other institutions, and visitors on a wide range of subjects.
- On a back-up basis, assists in managing schedule, meetings and other activities of the Chair and Departmental guests.
- Types and tracks purchase requisitions, travel vouchers and other personnel forms pertaining to the Deputy Chair.
- Performs general office work such as filing, photocopying, collating and distributing materials, organizing files, office supply ordering and distributing mail, etc.
- Assists Pathology IS with oversight and maintenance of the departmental bulletin board and website.
- With direction from the Deputy Chair, plans Departmental social functions (e.g., seasonal party, going away parties, Employee appreciation dinner, alumni reception, coordinate annual photoshoot), including function facilities, caterer, menus, etc.
- Mainatains scheduling of Departmental Conference Rooms (e.g. Ramzi Cotran Conference Center and Chairman's Suite Conference room)
- Performs all other duties and responsibilities as directed.
Associates degree or equivalent experience required.
Three to five years of related experience as an executive/administrative assistant, preferably in a hospital setting.SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Ability to multitask.
Ability to work under deadline pressure and prioritize work from several sources.
Demonstrated ability to work effectively using Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, and other applications.
Strong interpersonal skills are necessary in order to interrelate with a wide range of personalities.
Must use discretion and good judgement in personal interactions and in handling of sensitive and confidential information.
Must be able to act independently. Will frequently be working under minimal supervision and will be expected to show initiative in performing work.
Ability to interact well with others over the telephone and in person.
Ability to do transcription.
Ability to handle medical terminology desired.
Thorough knowledge of office procedures and office equipment.EEO Statement
Brigham and Women's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
This job has expired.