Brigham and Women's Hospital is committed to putting every Patient First. Every employee plays a role in providing a positive impact on patients and the care they receive at Brigham and Women's Hospital. Our service will be distinguished by the delivery of high-quality and safe patient care, respect and dignity in all interactions with patients, families and colleagues and by customer service excellence.
The Hospitality/Info Desk Ambassador will be responsible for the following duties, including but not limited to:
- Actively greets patients, family/visitors, and staff in a polite, professional, friendly, and welcoming manner.
- Communicates entrance policies which includes universal masking and may include visitor restrictions.
- Monitor and refill mask dispensers and hand sanitizing stations.
- Assists with patient and family/visitor inquiries and requests by actively listening and clearly responding. This includes, but is not limited to, providing information regarding hospital services and office locations, as well as clear and understandable directions.
- Responds to requests from patients requiring escort, wayfinding, or assistance, utilizing wheelchairs when appropriate.
- Ensures hospital lobbies and public areas are clean, safe, and uncluttered in accordance with all infection control standards.
- Works in collaboration with volunteers to ensure patients, family/visitors, and staff receive accurate, timely, and service-oriented assistance.
- Maintain a clean desk area, ensuring a neat and orderly appearance.
- Initiates emergency codes and participates in actual or mock emergency procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned within the scope of the Hospitality/Info Desk Ambassador role.
Adheres to hospital policies and procedures, including but not limited to:
- EPIC knowledge or ability to become proficient in EPIC in order to locate patient's appointment and provide clear and accurate directions.
- Answers telephone inquiries regarding general information, patient location or hospital policy and transfers telephone calls to appropriate destination with a warm hand off.
- Cross training in patient access areas, deployed to various posts within the department as needed.
- Connect with materials management to provide entrance locations with mask inventory.
- Must work well as part of a team and stay calm during stressful situations.
Qualifications Qualifications - Basic Requirements:
- Attendance and punctuality, including the use of time keeping software before beginning work and at the end of day.
- Uniform requirements
- Ability to rotate days, evenings, and weekends. Holiday rotations if applicable.
- High school diploma/GED or minimum 5 years of relevant work experience required
Working Conditions:Fast paced, often standing, and some moderate lifting. Must wear a face mask at all times.
- A minimum of 3-6 months experience in an office or health care setting preferred
- Requires interpersonal relationship skills to effectively communicate with patients, their families, physicians, and other support personnel.
- Moderate typing skills, computer experience, Microsoft Office package
- Requires good judgment, tact, sensitivity, and the ability to function in a stressful environment.
- Requires the ability to maintain confidentiality regarding patients, their medical histories, demographic information, etc.
- Requires the ability to strictly adhere to Customer Service Standards
BWH Behavioral Competencies (required of all employees)
1. People: Focus on serving the community through collaboration and respect
Definition: Maintain an environment where individuals value and respect differences in all situations. Stand firm against intolerance and bias to create a welcoming environment and respect all individuals regardless of race, gender identity, ethnicity, language, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental ability, religion, socio-economic status, or national origin.
a) Work effectively with others who have diverse perspectives, talents, roles, backgrounds and/or styles
b) Contribute to a positive team environment where differences are respected, supported and are free from stereotyping and offensive comments
c) Be professional when approached about behaviors that might be perceived as disrespectful
Definition: The ability to effectively articulate and receive information in a clear, concise and timely manner.
a) Practice active listening skills
b) Foster and maintain an environment that respects open dialogue, differences of opinion, as well as diverse communication styles
c) Ensure that information is shared in a clear, accurate, and timely manner using the appropriate communication method for your audience
d) Express oneself clearly and professionally in your verbal, non-verbal, written, and electronic communication
Building Collaborative Relationships
Definition: Identifying opportunities and taking action to build relationships between one's area and other areas, teams, departments, units, or organizations to help achieve organizational goals.
a) Take initiative to support others and build productive relationships that will lead to a cohesive workplace
b) Interact effectively with other team members, departments and customers to accomplish organizational goals
Definition: Understand how one's own work affects the organization as a whole and demonstrate a commitment to the organizational goals.
a) Support and respect BWH's mission, vision, values, and history
b) Understand and recognize how your individual role and department impacts the organization
2. Self-Management: Accountability, professionalism and commitment to growth and development
Definition: Demonstrate adaptability and openness to organizational changes needed to improve effectiveness and goals.
a) Support and positively participate in organizational and/or job specific changes
b) Initiate appropriate action when change is needed
c) Be flexible and open to new ideas
d) Adapt to shifting priorities
Definition: Predisposed to pursue learning opportunities even outside own comfort zone, one stays abreast of new tools and methods, rising to add value and build challenge in current assignments.
a) Demonstrate openness to learning from successes and failures
b) Recognize and participate in learning opportunities
c) Seek and share best practices
Definition: Practice respect for self and others; and adhere to BWH standards, policies, and procedures at all times.
a) Adhere to BWH's Code of Conduct, Guide to Ethical Standards, policies and procedures
b) Align behavior with the organizational mission and values
c) Practice respect in accordance with BWH standards
d) Demonstrate responsibility, reliability, and trustworthiness
3. Organization: A commitment to quality, service, and exceptional performance
Quality and Safety Focus
Definition: Responsible for meeting standards of performance or outcomes in a safe manner while avoiding risks.
a) Align job performance with quality and safety standards (e.g. The Joint Commission, BWH and department specific standards)
b) Adhere to established policies and procedures
c) Take action to prevent errors
d) Identify and report adverse events, errors, and incidents
Efficiency and Performance Improvement
Definition: Systematic approach to improve performance by eliminating waste, non-value-added activities and variability in processes.
a) Participate in process and performance improvement by identifying, analyzing, and enhancing existing processes to achieve better outcomes
b) Maximize available resources to achieve performance measures; reduce waste, rework, and work-arounds consistent with one's role
Definition: Able to gather appropriate data and diagnose the cause of the problem before taking action; and if necessary, develop alternative courses of action.
a) Recognize actual and potential problems and take appropriate action towards a solution
b) Offer assistance, as needed, when a potential problem situation is observed
c) Use good judgment to keep manager informed of problems or issues, following department practice
Definition: Focusing one's efforts towards anticipating, meeting and exceeding the expressed and unexpressed needs or expectations of internal and external customers.
Apply service standards consistently to present a positive image of BWH to colleagues, health providers, patients, families, and visitors:
a) Engage with positive greetings and active listening
b) Empathize by expressing understanding
c) Educate throughout the information exchange
d) Enlist thoughts and ideas from others
Definition: Identify and seek information needed to clarify a situation. Ask questions to discover the facts.
a) Identify specific information needed to clarify a situation or to make a decision
b) Probe skillfully to get at the factsHOSPITAL WIDE RESPONSIBILITIES:
These are required of all staff, regardless of position.
Works within legal, regulatory, accreditation and ethical practice standards relevant to the position and as established by BWH/MGB; follows safe practices required for the position; complies with appropriate BWH and MGB policies and procedures; fulfills any training required by BWH and/or MGB, as appropriate; brings potential matters of non-compliance to the attention of the supervisor or other appropriate hospital staff.EEO Statement
Brigham and Women's Hospital (BWH) complies with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, citizenship, alienage, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or disability.