Under immediate supervision, cleans and maintains work and living areas, rest rooms and other public areas at Central Nebraska Veterans' Home. Work is assigned by a housekeeping/custodial supervisor and is intended to maintain high standards of sanitation required for bacterial infection control and accreditation or regulatory standards, and to ensure a clean and orderly appearance in a variety of work and/or living environments. Work assigned requires use of conventional and industrial size cleaning equipment and industrial strength chemicals and other cleaning agents; performs related work as assigned.
Location: Central Nebraska Veterans Home, 4510 E. 56th St., Kearney, NE 68847
Work Schedule: 07:00am-03:30 pm Monday-Friday with rotating weekends
Examples of Work
- Cleans, disinfects, and deodorizes showers, bathtubs, lavatories, beds, sinks, mirrors, pipes, and other fixtures using disinfectants or other chemical solutions.
- Washes walls, windows, and ceilings using ladders, scaffolding, and other equipment.
- Vacuums and performs floor cleaning duties using dust mops, wet mops, machine scrubs, and industrial size equipment; shampoos and vacuums carpets and similar material; selects and mixes cleaning or chemical solutions.
- Observes building or facility standards of sanitation and safety in cleaning procedures, i.e., frequent changing of cleaning water and mop heads and correct use of antibacterial agents.
- Empties individual trash containers, replaces old trash liners with new, and removes trash from buildings or facilities; physically lifts and moves material or objects weighing up to 50 pounds or more.
- Dusts, washes, and/or waxes furniture, wood surfaces, and fixtures.
- Cleans up after guests, visitors, staff, or members to ensure that high standards of sanitation are maintained.
- Maintains and repairs/replaces minor components of cleaning equipment; informs immediate supervisor of broken/malfunctioning equipment and fixtures to facilitate repair or replacement.
- Stocks necessary cleaning and paper supplies in janitor closets; refills/replaces hand towels, soap, and other materials to have them available for use.
Qualifications / Requirements
REQUIREMENTS: No specific education, training or experience is required for entry to this class.
PREFERRED: working knowledge and cleaning experience in commercial business, hospital, medical building or long term care facility. Experience with floor care equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of: established sanitation standards and cleaning procedures. Ability to: read or comprehend and follow instructions; communicate information so others will understand; learn to operate and maintain cleaning equipment; perform highly unpleasant tasks such as cleaning up human wastes as necessary; learn to select and mix cleaning solutions in proper proportions for a variety of cleaning purposes; endure walking, standing, sitting, bending, climbing and descending ladders, kneeling, squatting, grasping, reaching, and pushing/pulling/lifting 50 or more pounds,on a daily basis. Personal characteristics: sufficient physical strength and agility to operate heavy commercial cleaning equipment and lift/move heavy objects as needed.
This job has expired.