500974 - **For a Limited Time, Hired Candidates are Eligible for up to $1,000 Sign-on Bonus**
SUMMARY: Cook II is primary food production staff. Working under direction, Cook II exercises some decision making. Cook II prepares food in quantity for Dining Services customers, and is responsible for maintaining high standards for food quality while practicing proper sanitation, food safety, and cooking procedures.
In the assigned unit, this position may perform some or all of the following:
- Cooks and prepares food as directed according to established recipes, special dietary or nutritional restrictions, or numbers of portions.
- Cleans, cuts, and cooks all food products as assigned, including meat, fish, poultry, starches, and vegetables.
- Prepares appropriate garnishes; garnishes foods.
- Cleans, sets up, and breaks down kitchen equipment, appliances, and work areas to ensure cleanliness and functional operation.
- Operates kitchen, line equipment and machinery according to established safety procedures.
- Incorporates unused food safely into future food production.
- Covers, labels, and dates all food products, and follows all food safety rules for proper storage.
- Sets up serving lines.
- Monitors and records temperatures of foods stored in refrigeration, in hot boxes, and on the serving line to ensure safe temperatures.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
- Monitors accuracy of recipes; communicates discrepancies to production manager.
- Produces production records, as directed. Assists with production forecasts and recipe yields.
- Maintains cleanliness of the production areas.
- Washes pots, pans, dishes, utensils, and other cooking equipment, as needed.
- Trains new employees.
This position requires long periods of standing and walking, and the ability to lift 50 lbs., in conditions that are often, hot, humid, or cold. Must be able to safely use and operate typical kitchen tools and equipment. Must be able to work outdoors in varying weather conditions, on occasion. QUALIFICATIONS:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Intermediate knowledge of culinary techniques and practices.
- Knowledge of quantity food production principles and safe food handling practices.
- Skilled in high-volume and high-quality food production and presentation.
- Skilled in using effective time management to accomplish tasks.
- Skilled in reading, mathematics, and written and verbal communication.
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions and procedures.
- Ability to exercise flexibility and work under pressure to meet deadlines in a fast paced environment with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to provide a high level of customer service.
- Ability to monitor and/or maintain quality control standards.
- Ability to work cooperatively as a part of a team.
- High school diploma or GED.
- 2 years' experience in high volume production in hotel, restaurant, or college foodservice required.
- Safe food handler certification preferred, or certification obtained within one year of hire. (This is dependent on the assigned unit.)
- Full time, non-exempt position
- Work hours are: 11:30 a.m. - 8:30 p.m.; 8 hrs./day; 40 hrs./week rotating days and weekends
- This position is designated as essential personnel and, during inclement weather and emergency situations, is required to be available to the University as needed.
Pay Grade 2 (Hiring Range $15.00 - $18.94/hour based on experience) **Hired Candidates are Eligible for up to $1,000 Sign-on Bonus**Heilman Dining Center:
For more information about the award-winning, all-you-care-to-eat Heilman Dining Center, please visit: http://dining.richmond.edu/locations/heilman/. COVID-19:
The University of Richmond requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all students, faculty, and staff. The University allows exemptions to this requirement for religious, medical and strong personal conviction reasons. All newly hired employees must report their status within the first two weeks of employment. ABOUT UR
At the University of Richmond, we're creative, inclusive, and determined. We're Spiders, and our mission is to create positive change in the UR community and beyond. Located minutes from downtown Richmond, Virginia, the University of Richmond (www.richmond.edu) blends the intimacy of a small college with exceptional academic, research, and cultural opportunities usually found only at large institutions. There's only one place like Richmond.
UR is committed to developing a diverse faculty, staff and student body, and to modeling an inclusive campus community which values the expression of differences in ways that promote excellence in teaching, learning, personal development and institutional success. In keeping with this commitment, our academic community welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and candidates who support diversity. EOE
This job has expired.