If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The Division of Development and Alumni Relations has an exciting opportunity for an Assistant Vice President, Athletics Development to work in Coral Gables, FL.
The Division of Development & Alumni Relations (DAR) supports and promotes the mission, purpose, and priorities of the University of Miami through fundraising and engagement by building and nurturing strategic philanthropic relationships to improve and transform the lives of individuals and communities. We are committed to values central to the Division-Service, Gratitude, Trust, and Partnership-which guide our strategic thinking, decision-making, and day-to-day interaction with each other and our stakeholders.
The University of Miami's rich athletics tradition dates back to the school's first classes in the fall of 1926. Miami has since built one of the nation's great athletics programs, one that has won 21 team national championships and 84 individual national championships. UM currently fields teams in 18 sports as a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference.
The Assistant Vice President, Athletics Development and Senior Associate Athletic Director (AVP) for Miami Hurricanes Athletics is a senior professional who will lead a comprehensive advancement program while proactively managing a principal gift donor/prosect portfolio. The AVP will plan, organize and direct the fundraising programs established for identifying, cultivating and soliciting major, principal and transformational gifts for Canes Athletics. This individual must be a seasoned development leader with a proven track-record in higher education development. The AVP reports directly to the Associate Vice President, Strategic Philanthropy (AVP/SP) and has a liaison reporting line to the Vice President and Director of Athletics.
The AVP also serves as a senior leader within the Athletics Department, supporting the Athletic Director and coaches in their development efforts.
The AVP will lead and direct the daily operations of athletics development, ensuring that goals and objectives are met with strict adherence to NCAA and ACC rules and regulations as well as policies and procedures of Miami Athletics and Development and the Board of Trustees.
- Lead a comprehensive development program that supports Miami Athletics' development priorities.
- Responsible for achieving the unit and personal fundraising goals/metrics.
- Build and manage a portfolio of principal and transformational gift prospects and secure philanthropic investments in support of Miami Athletics priorities.
- Hire, supervise, mentor, and evaluate the Miami Athletics Development team.
- Work with and assist in strategy with the Hurricane Club (athletics annual giving).
- Participate in strategic planning for athletic programs as it relates to fundraising, working closely with the Athletic Director and leadership to identify fundraising needs and opportunities.
- Work with senior level university leaders and volunteers to develop principal and transformational gifts for athletics.
- Work within the Miami prospect management and tracking system, following all protocols for visits and solicitations.
- Prepare the Athletic Director and others with appropriate prospect and donor information as needed.
- Working in conjunction with Canes Athletics and DAR staff, lead the preparation and management of the Canes Athletics Development budget and revenue projections. Monitor expenditures and ensure budget compliance.
- Be guided by the direction and scope of each prospect's interest, proactively collaborate across the university enterprise to leverage the maximum philanthropic potential of each donor.
- Develop and submit written proposals, case statements, budgets and other collateral materials needed to secure philanthropic investments.
- Other development related duties as assigned by the Athletic Director and/or the AVP/SD.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- At least 20 years of demonstrated successful professional development and/or fundraising related experience, preferably in collegiate athletics, higher education or academic setting. Equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skill and abilities have been achieved, will be considered.
- Experienced in leading a comprehensive athletics capital campaign and/or the development effort required to launch new sports teams.
- Accomplished in closing 7-8 figure gifts.
- Preference for athletics development experience or commensurate experience/comfort in athletics arena.
- Fluency in Spanish is a bonus.
Other qualifications include:
- An understanding and appreciation of the importance of collegiate athletics, and ability to effectively communicate the value of supporting athletics to prospective donors.
- Ability to travel to visit donors and/or attend scheduled strategic events and athletic competitions and to work evenings and weekends when necessary.
- Create, maintain, and strengthen relationships with key volunteers and enhances volunteer engagement.
- Broad knowledge of fundraising principles and techniques, preferable in a complex athletics and academic setting and proven success in building productive, long-term relationships with key business leaders, senior University leaders, faculty, staff, volunteer boards and high-level donors.
- Leadership skills to motivate staff members and encourage a team-of-teams approach to meet Division and University fundraising goals.
- Devise and implement strategies to provide professional development for staff and encourage their highest level of performance.
- Serves as the primary contact for fundraising issues for various groups across campus and external parties.
- Represents the University in discussions, interactions, and negotiations with donors.
- Excellent written and oral communication ability as reflected in proposals, oral presentations, and strategic plans.
- Team-oriented strategist able to effectively manage complex situations involving numerous and sometimes competing constituencies, and a comfort in working in a fast-paced, results-oriented, and structured environment.
- Must be a self-starter, organized, creative, energetic, and assertive, and possess the ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Coordinates all database administration and related technology support and implements plans to improve effectiveness of current systems.
- Analyzes current and emerging trends in advancement services and provides strategic approaches to improve the University's current and future advancement activities.
- Ensures adherence to applicable rules and regulations in relation to gifts acceptance.
- Ensures internal control oversight and compliance with laws and regulations, safeguarding of assets, compliance with University policies and procedures, reliability of internal and external reporting, and efficiency and effectiveness of operations. Creates an effective control environment, conducts risk assessment, implements, and monitors controls.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:
Full timeEmployee Type:
This job has expired.