The Partners/Bayer Pulmonary Drug Discovery (PDD)Laboratory utilizes in vitro and in vivo models to identify molecular targetsrelated to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and interstitial lungdisease (ILD), to determine the mode of action of the targets, and to identifyand test potential therapeutic modalities for COPD and ILD. The PDD Laboratory RA Senior activelyparticipants in experimental research related to these goals and has the capabilityto present his/her lab work. He/she works independently under the guidance of the supervisor,and performs non-routine, highly specialized experiments or modification of currentresearch protocols.The PDD Laboratory RA Senior has knowledge ofsubject matter and continually strives to learn more about methods, projectdesign, and offers improvements to current techniques. Willing to accommodatework schedule at odd hours.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1) Participate in molecularand cellular biology experiments, including but not limited to: PCR, DNA and protein gel electrophoresis, Westernblots, RNA preps, quantitative real-time PCR, mammalian cell (tissue) culture, transfectand infect cells with expression vectors, CRISPR - cas9 delivery in primarycells, organoid cultures, and precision cut lung slice studies.
2) Workwith murine models of lung disease relevant to molecular targets of interest,including murine colony maintenance, genotype confirmation of gene-targetedmice, exposure studies, and cell and molecular studies based on samples frommurine models.
3) Execute experimentalstudies to validate and understand the biology of identified molecular targetsand new mechanisms and maintain complete daily records of methodologies andtest results in an electronic laboratory notebook.
4) Work with otherlaboratory staff, including Bayer scientists, to drive the process of drugdevelopment for validated mechanisms and targets.
5) Keep record ofstudies, analyze data sets, prepare and present results at PDD Laboratorymeetings which may include the Bayer team in Germany.
6) Communicate andinteract with interdisciplinary project teams.
7) Participate inscientific meetings and seminars and represents the strategic collaboration atinternal and external meetings and conferences.
8) Maintainequipment and supplies in a neat and orderly manner.
All other duties as assigned.
1) Minimum ofBachelor's in Science plus four years of relevant work experience.
2) Knowledge of cellbiology and/or molecular biology not only obtained through a bachelor's degreeprogram in biology, molecular genetics, biochemistry, or laboratory science.
3) Experience withmolecular cloning, PCR, CRISPR/Cas9 technique, and primary cell culture.
4) Experience with murinemodels is desirable.
5) Ability toidentify potential problems, communicate and troubleshoot them effectively.
6) Must be able tooperate and maintain delicate electronic equipment and safely use and disposeof toxic chemicals and biohazards materials.
7) Excellent writtenand verbal communication skills, must be able to thoroughly documentexperiments, protocols, and data. Must be able to logically structure tasks andset priorities.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
1) Quality of workand data produced - accuracy, attention to detail, raises questions promptlywith Investigators about matters affecting data quality. Ability toindependently follow protocols and troubleshoot procedures as required.
2) Time management -meets deadlines, balances multiple projects at all times, plans with supervisorsand other staff to work together to meet deadlines.
3) Standards -knowledge of subject matter and continually striving to learn more aboutmethods, project design, and offering improvements to current techniques.
4) Communication -professional, courteous, and accurate communication of progress or results to supervisorsand principal investigators.
5) Documentation -ability to provide thorough written and/or electronic documentation of allcosts, protocols, weekly project status reports and laboratory project-tracking"bugs" and regularly review with principal investigators.
Variety of laboratory/office settings. Exposure to toxic chemicals and biohazardsmaterials. Work may require odd hours tocomplete experiments, obtain biospecimens, and/or to participate on calls withGermany.
Brigham and Women's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic information, military service, or other protected status.