COVID-19 Vaccine Safety Mandate
This position requires that you must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (even if working remotely) and present proof of vaccination before beginning employment. If you receive an offer of employment, you will be asked as part of the background check process to upload a copy of your vaccination card. If you believe you require an accommodation for medical or religious reasons related to the vaccine safety mandate, you may submit a request after you receive an offer of employment. Instructions on how to do so will be provided in your offer letter.
Position: Senior Food Technologist
Job Location: Hershey, PA
Reporting to the Senior Manager of USCI Product Optimization and working at the Technical Center in Hershey, PA, the Senior Food Technologist position is responsible for evaluating, developing, and implementing product changes for Continuous Improvement projects across the US.
This position assumes a technical leadership role on multiple medium complexity projects and/or leads a program with support. This could include a high number of low to medium complexity projects that drives leadership complexity or medium to high level of autonomy on medium complexity projects and low to medium level of autonomy in leading a program.
A successful candidate is proficient at communicating complex or technical subject matter written and verbally to different audiences at all levels of the organization. They are adept at influencing key stakeholders, and leverage their networks to provide solutions.
Specific Role Focus Area:
- Leveraging knowledge and experience to drive successful implementation of margin enhancement projects within the US business
- Aligning key stakeholders, and identifying potential challenges and interdependencies impacting projects
- Evaluate both the business case and technical feasibility of new project ideas resulting in a prioritized list of opportunities
- Problem solving and product troubleshooting through application of knowledge and creative thinking
- Ensuring sustainable project execution and technology transfer to manufacturing teams
- Observing, recording, and evaluating experimental data to draw conclusions
- Preparing project reports and presentations
- Supporting supply chain continuity initiatives in collaboration with vendors of ingredients
- Providing food and product science instruction to both technical and non-technical employees
- Possess full working technical knowledge of product development and optimization, including manufacturing validation and implementation.
- Demonstrated application of food science and process engineering principles in developing manufacturing solutions with a sound understanding of the interaction between process unit operations and product physical and sensory properties.
- Working knowledge of food science, quality assurance, and good manufacturing practices.
- Experience operating lab and pilot scale equipment/instrumentation and working in a manufacturing plant.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, exercising a moderate level of judgment in project execution.
- Possess time management skills and the ability to prioritize and manage multiple priorities in an expedient manner, understanding the required business objectives, developing solutions and schedules, and efficient and expedient project executions.
- Demonstrate attention to details required to deliver results with sound project planning and project management skills.
- Interpersonal skills that allow for effective working relationships at all levels across the organization.
- Ability to work in a team environment and independently in a flexible work environment with changing priorities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient computer literacy, fluent with Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to accommodate unusual and extended work hours as required for project completion
This role will interact and partner with:
- Manufacturing, Operations and Plant Quality Assurance
- Quality and Regulatory Compliance
- Procurement, Planning, and Logistics
- Marketing and Consumer Research
- R&D and Engineering
- External Vendors
This role will require 20-30% North America travel and the ability to accommodate unusual and extended work hours as required for project completion.
- PhD in Food Science with 0-2 years of experience, MS in FdSc, with 2-4 years of experience, or BS in FdSc with 4-6 years of experience
- Strong understanding of principles of food chemistry and ingredient functionality is desirable.
- Value Analysis
- Scope of work
- Operations/Manufacturing knowledge
- Regulatory and standards compliance
- Technical writing
- Chocolate technology
- Research methodology
- Analytical techniques
- Ingredient supplier-based knowledge
- Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)
- Scale-up/plant test process
- Ability to collaborate across regions, departments, and all levels of the organization
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veterans
If you require a reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact the HR Service Center (email@example.com).