Programs in Therapeutics Development are a key part of Moderna's portfolio. Comprising a dynamic & collaborative community of clinical development physicians and scientists across Autoimmune, Cardiovascular (CV), Pulmonary, Hematology, and Rare Diseases, we are driving scientific innovation to deliver transformational medicines.
Moderna is seeking an MD with experience in rare disease clinical development to lead the clinical strategy for one or more rare disease assets within the Therapeutic portfolio and oversee a clinical team accountable for trials to execute the strategy. This role offers you the opportunity to utilize advanced scientific and statistical principles and digital technology in collaboration with your peers to help build Moderna's pipeline.
This role will report to Moderna's Clinical Head for Rare Disease, Autoimmune or Exploratory Disease. The position is based at one of Moderna's offices in: Cambridge, MA; Princeton, NJ; Bethesda, MD.
The successful candidate is driven, curious, and collaborative, with a bold ambition to contribute to the development of ground-breaking mRNA-based therapeutics. The candidate must have excellent oral and written communication skills, and a collaborative way of working.
Here's What You'll Do:
Scientific Leadership, Direction and Strategy:
- Providing integrated and innovative clinical development strategy to lead the creation and management of the Clinical Development Plan (CDP) for an asset in development
- Integrating scientific rationale, regulatory requirements, product development plan and commercial goals to optimize clinical study designs aligned with the Integrated Development Plan (IDP) and CDP
- Generating the data and evidence required to determine a medicine's potential efficacy, safety profile, key areas of product differentiation and value to patient in the shortest possible timeframe
- Establishing expeditious clinical development timelines, incorporating key decision points and Go/No Go criteria for the CDP
- Developing and maintaining relationships with program counterparts in Commercial, Research, Regulatory, Clinical Operations and Statistics
- Contributing to and partnering on the development of strategic initiatives, specific Business Development activities and various organizational initiatives in Clinical Development
- Playing an active role in the technical and leadership development of Clinical Sciences staff via coaching and mentoring and potential direct line management
Study & Program Design and Evidence Generation:
- Employs visioning and strategic thinking to provide expert leadership of disease/therapeutic area specific strategy for a drug(s) or program(s). Leads selected clinical development projects for products/franchise of compounds
- Leading and positively interfacing with and influencing across a diverse range of scientific external experts (e.g. regulators, payors, CROs, consultants, investigators) in order to deliver integrated clinical development strategy, which align to the business strategy and achieves mutual goals related to patient need
- Integrating inputs from across disciplines (scientific, clinical commercial, regulatory) to contribute to the Target Product Profile. Accountable for the clinical components of the Target Product Profile.
- Accountable for risk/benefit of the asset. Actively leads and makes decisions which balance risk/benefit at the project level with clear understanding of impact on study/project indication approvals; takes action to mitigate risk where appropriate
- Assessing and predicting when therapies designed for one patient population/indication can be used in alternative scenarios to broaden potential patient benefit
- Anticipating problems and proactively seeking input from other teams' members/functional lines within R&D. Uses scientific/operational expertise to solve study and/or project related problems
- Accountable for the evaluation of clinical study/program probability of technical success
Creating Innovative Scientific and Technical Solutions:
- Drives the end to end integrated clinical development strategy that is appropriately resourced to achieve regulatory approvals, reimbursable medicines, and successful lifecycle management
- Leads clinical development discussions at regulatory interactions and clinical components of the submissions (e.g. IND, NDA, BLA, MAA) including briefing documents, presentations, addressing questions and responses
- Delivers value and access insights to inform medical strategy, expand market access and to address unmet patient need
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- Overcomes obstacles by experimenting with and adopting new ways of working including digital tools and technology
- Champions implementation of innovative methods and processes within clinical development and gains stakeholder support; encourages others to think differently and come up with business solutions
Moderna is pleased to provide you and your family with a comprehensive and innovative suite of benefits, including:
- MD degree and 5 years' experience in clinical development, preferably in rare disease
- Advanced medical training in an internal medicine or pediatric-related field
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Attention to detail, internal drive to generate high-quality work, and sense of passion and urgency to achieve team and program goals
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and strategic planning skills
- Extensive experience in clinical drug development with an understanding of multiple diseases, the underlying biology and potential therapeutic targets as well as current and future potential treatment options in all clinical trial phases.
- Extensive clinical training and/or applicable clinical research experience; understanding of clinical development planning and running clinical trial from concept study idea to publication.
- Demonstrated experience managing complex projects and working collaboratively with multiple stakeholders regarding new strategies to ensure consistent communication
- Proven ability to maximize and integrate genetic data to advance disease understanding and inform and guide clinical development plans
- Thorough understanding of clinical research methodology and biostatistics principles, to facilitate innovative and efficient clinical trial design, and clinical development plans with clear data-driven decision rules
- Demonstrated experience using new learning and digital tools to create innovation in other areas
- Expertise in inductive and deductive reasoning, statistics, and in providing mechanisms to interpret and analyze highly complex information including digital content
- Embodies Moderna's core values of Bold, Relentless, Curious and Collaborative.
- Highly competitive and inclusive medical, dental and vision coverage options
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses
- Lifestyle Spending Account funds to help you engage in personal enrichment and self-care activities
- Family care benefits, including subsidized back-up care options and on-demand tutoring
- Free premium access to fitness, nutrition, and mindfulness classes
- Exclusive preferred pricing on Peloton fitness equipment
- Adoption and family-planning benefits
- Dedicated care coordination support for our LGBTQ+ community
- Generous paid time off, including:
• Vacation, sick time and holidays
• Volunteer time to participate within your community
• Discretionary year-end shutdown
• Paid sabbatical after 5 years; every 3 years thereafter
- Generous Paid Leave offerings, including 18 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents
- 401k match and Financial Planning tools
- Moderna-paid Life, LTD and STD insurance coverages, as well as voluntary benefit options
- Complimentary concierge service including home services research, travel booking, and entertainment requests
- Free parking or subsidized commuter passes
- Location-specific perks and extras!
Candidates should be aware that Moderna currently maintains a policy requiring all US-based employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and receive a booster shot once eligible. Newly hired employees must be vaccinated and boosted prior to their employment start date. Moderna is an equal opportunity employer and will provide a reasonable accommodation to those unable to be vaccinated or receive a booster where it is not an undue hardship to the company to do so as provided under federal, state, and local law.About Moderna
In over 10 years since its inception, Moderna has transformed from a research-stage company advancing programs in the field of messenger RNA (mRNA), to an enterprise with a diverse clinical portfolio of vaccines and therapeutics across seven modalities, a broad intellectual property portfolio in areas including mRNA and lipid nanoparticle formulation, and an integrated manufacturing plant that allows for rapid clinical and commercial production at scale. Moderna maintains alliances with a broad range of domestic and overseas government and commercial collaborators, which has allowed for the pursuit of both groundbreaking science and rapid scaling of manufacturing. Most recently, Moderna's capabilities have come together to allow the authorized use and approval of one of the earliest and most effective vaccines against the COVID-19 pandemic.
Moderna's mRNA platform builds on continuous advances in basic and applied mRNA science, delivery technology and manufacturing, and has allowed the development of therapeutics and vaccines for infectious diseases, immuno-oncology, rare diseases, cardiovascular diseases and autoimmune diseases. Moderna has been named a top biopharmaceutical employer by Science for the past seven years. To learn more, visit www.modernatx.com.
Moderna is a smoke-free, alcohol-free and drug-free work environment.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.