Schedule: Per Diem
- Responsible for assessing the needs of non-English speaking and hearing impaired patients and providing assistance by interpretation of consent forms, diagnoses, discharge plans and any other type of patient-related information and patient / provider encounters.
- Responsible for immediately and effectively answering requests for face to face or telephone interpretations for all types of encounters throughout the hospital, with a priority for emergency and more urgent requests,
- Interprets and transmits accurately and in understandable terms, complex medical information from medical providers to patients, including interpretation and written translation of consent forms, diagnoses, discharge plans and any other type of patient-related information. Interprets and transmits accurately and in understandable terms information from patients to medical providers.
- Assists patients throughout the hospital system in a professional and courteous manner. Provides this assistance to every patient who speaks the Interpreter's language and, if necessary refers the patient to the appropriate resource.
- Assists physicians and medical providers in procedures that require a calm and well-informed patient.
- Maintains an environment that promotes collaborative work relationships and provides assistance to other Interpreter Services personnel as needed.
- Accepts and processes assignments for his/her language and other languages. This task may include answering telephones, logging information, contacting interpreters from office files and/or other approved sources, and securing follow-up in a timely manner.
- Independently resolves most issues that arise in their daily responsibilities, answers questions about protocols and makes appropriate referrals without direct supervision.
- Maintains complete and accurate written and computerized records of services rendered and statistics of all patient related information.
- Performs related duties as required.
150About Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital
Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital is a 171- bed non-profit, community teaching hospital located in Jamaica Plain directly across the street from the Arnold Arboretum. Founded in 1900, Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital has a long history of meeting the health care needs of our patients by offering comprehensive care in a wide variety of specialties. At Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital, our world revolves around our patients and their families, which is why we've been nationally recognized for our best practices in patient care, safety measures and surgical outcomes. If you're looking for more than a career, join Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital. Our patients call it better care. Our employees call it home.Qualifications
- Associate's Degree preferred. High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Prior training of medical terminology and interpreting skills.
- National Certification required
- Two years of health care related experience in a position of direct patient contact preferred.
- Fluency of English, both written and verbal, and one or more languages.
- Knowledge of culture-specific care
- Exposure to high degree of informative medical technology.
- Fast pace and demanding environment.
- Frequent interruptions and small office setting.
Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to an employee's protected status, such as age, race, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity or expression or sexual orientation.