The Shen Laboratory, affiliated with the Department of Neurology at Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School, is leading research into elucidating the underlying mechanisms of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease using genetic approaches. This important work may lead to novel therapeutic treatments for these neurodegenerative diseases.
We are seeking a well-organized and highly motivated Senior Administrative Assistant to provide direct support to the Principal Investigator (PI), Jie Shen, PhD., and the Shen Laboratory research staff. This position will provide support to all aspects of the day-to-day and long-term administrative operations of the laboratory. The Sr. Admin will serve as the Shen Lab's representative and interface between the PI, lab staff, institutional associates, and be responsible for maintaining schedules and resources.
The ideal candidate is an individual with integrity, a mature and professional manner, and a positive and helpful nature. They should have excellent communication, organization, prioritization, project management, and problem solving capabilities, and a willingness to rise to new challenges. High proficiency with Mac computers and Microsoft Office required.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Direct support to the Principal Investigator and laboratory staff in the form of correspondence, copying, filing, faxing and word processing, Fedex and other clerical duties. Coordination of calendars, travel, schedules, conferences and meetings and preparation and tracking of travel and expenses. Order office supplies for PIs and manage maintenance requests.
- Provide assistance to the Investigator. Responsible for preparation of administrative sections of grants and continuing applications, research descriptions, updating biosketches and other support pages. Creates timelines and works closely with other staff to ensure completion of key tasks by appropriate target dates. Responsible for coordinating submission of grant applications or progress reports for internal approval process and for ensuring accuracy and completeness of final submission to the sponsor. Maintains grant database information in "Insight" and appropriate hard and soft files.
- Acts as primary contact and representative of the Shen Laboratory for internal and external departments, agencies, and sponsors.
- Prepares new Data Use Agreements and ensures that renewals are processed and submitted in a timely manner. Maintains "Insight" database of Data Use Agreements.
- Prepares and processes Material Transfer Agreements, Confidentiality Agreements, collaborations, etc., in cooperation with BWH Research Management staff, the PI, and external organizations.
- Drafts job descriptions, sets up interviews and collects references for new lab personnel. Posts job descriptions internally at BWH and on external websites. Arranges interviews, and ensures that all onboarding requirements are met for each new employee.
- Coordinates arrangements for visiting speakers and prospective candidates to the Center, including travel, hotel and meal accommodations, distribution of announcements, and expense reimbursement. Coordinates on-site arrangements for conferences/meetings or special events sponsored by the PIs. Coordinates monthly lab meeting, including maintaining and distributing calendars, and catering.
- Orders laboratory and general office supplies using eBuy system. Tracks all invoice activity, including generating purchase orders and following up on unpaid invoices.
- Perform literature searches. Uploads manuscripts to NIH database. Organizes, maintains and develops office files, directories, listings, (including grants, manuscripts, reprints, CV's, ect) as necessary for efficient office operation.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned by the Primary Investigator.
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in a field of study related to science, medicine, or business administration.
- Minimum 3 years similar administrative experience, demonstrated longevity in past positions, with increasing level of responsibility and independence required.
- Highly proficient in a Macintosh environment
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, and ability to learn new applications and software is required. Some experience of database or web software a plus.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Mature and professional manner, discretion, and confidentiality a must.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively, following established protocols, and work within systems.
- Strong organizational, coordination and judgment skills.
- Ability to prioritize effectively.
- Ability to problem solve and troubleshoot.
- Ability to analyze a situation and determine best course of action within established guidelines.
- Advanced computer skills.
BWH is an Affirmative Action Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law. We will ensure that all individuals with a disability are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.