Scientist, Translational Genomics, Oncology R&D
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. A place built on courage, curiosity and collaboration - we make bold decisions driven by patient outcomes. Empowered to lead at every level, free to ask questions and take smart risks that write the next chapter for our pipeline and Oncology team. Make a meaningful impact that brings real benefits to society. By applying your knowledge of data, you will help to redefine our industry and ultimately save lives. Work with experts who share a common goal: to accelerate the potential of medicines and the science of tomorrow.
Oncology Translational Medicine Genomics
The Translational Medicine function exists within Oncology R&D to ensure effective and strategic biomarker studies for oncology project teams. Translational Medicine is the single point of accountability for delivery of robust, scientifically-driven biomarkers to all Oncology project teams, providing feasibility assessments, technical validation, centralized biomarker analysis capability for clinical samples, delivery of translational science research and early clinical phase engagement. The Global Genomics team within Translational Medicine function leverages Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) and other advanced technologies to match the right patient to the right drug and support precision oncology approaches for the AZ Oncology pipeline.
Major Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Responsible for performing work in a genomics lab - planning, designing, and performing experimental work, then documenting and communicating results to appropriate partners.
- Deliver genomic information to AZ project teams and other partners using NGS and other groundbreaking technologies
- Develop and maintain internal genomics lab capability with a focus primarily on pre-analytical: DNA/RNA purification/quantification/QC; gene enrichment; library construction though DNA sequencing (Illumina NovaSeq, Oxford Nanopore, Thermo platforms)
- Involvement in data analysis/QC, troubleshooting, interpretation of results, and communication back to project teams.
- Familiarity with instrumentation including automation and software necessary for a high-throughput genomics lab
- Conceptualize, develop, and complete evaluations of platforms, vendors, and emerging technologies of clinical and translational utility and apply to address relevant needs
- Provide technical advice and genomic/biomarker consultation to internal and external partners
- Deliver biomarker assays and genomic/molecular profiling datasets, applying sample management software, a LIMS system, Jira and other software tools for project tracking and communication, electronic lab notebooks for documentation, and written project reports clearly and concisely summarizing results
- Work effectively with Translational Medicine Leads to consult on technologies, set expectations and timelines, develop project biomarker plans, and use fit-for-purpose platforms and technical approaches both internally and externally
- Be accountable for high quality biomarker data generation, validation and results/report delivery in a timely manner and, in partnership with Translational Medicine Leads and Project Management, deliver report summaries to project teams and partner lines
About Our Gaithersburg Oncology Hub
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or other relevant field
- Experience with Next Generation Sequencing is required
- Experience working with clinical oncology samples is required
- Experience with 10X Genomics single cell technology is required
- Experience with R and/or Python scripts
- Strong laboratory and analytical skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with clear documentation of work performed and ability to describe and understand its importance
- Excellent problem-solving skills with clear understanding of the balance of innovation, smart risks, and project delivery
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to multi-task project work
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center, game rooms, community garden and more. This is where you'll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams.So, what's next-
Are you already envisioning yourself joining our team? Good! We can't wait to hear from you!
If you're curious to know more, please contact Bobbi Poole, our Talent Acquisition Partner.Closing Date: April 11, 2023Competitive remuneration and benefits apply
We offer a competitive Total Reward program including a market driven base salary, bonus and long term incentive. We have a generous paid time off program and a comprehensive benefits package.Where can I find out more?Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn
https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We follow all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.