Reporting to the Characterization Group Lead, the individual in this role is a highly skilled, meticulous, and motivated analytical characterization scientist who focuses on developing and advancing sequencing capabilities within Technical Development, including Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) and other emerging sequencing platforms to analyze RNA and DNA samples in support of Moderna's mission to develop mRNA therapeutics. The successful candidate will work with groups across the company to develop and execute state-of-the-art sequencing analysis and contribute on a wide range of research and development activities across Technology Development. (S)he will also be directly involved in planning and executing genomic studies in collaboration with computational scientists. The level of the position will be based on the experience of the successful candidate. The individual manages cross-functional studies and presents results in departmental and cross-functional project team meetings. Additionally, the individual presents at external meetings and may be involved in publishing scientific papers.
Here's What You'll Do:
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- Independently research and optimize emerging NGS analysis pipelines including but not limited to: DNA/RNA Illumina sequencing, Oxford Nanopore sequencing, and new method development across multiple sequencing platforms.
- Mentor associates within group on novel and more traditional sequencing analyses.
- Review data generated by associates within group and provide feedback and guidance.
- Play a central role in the critical analysis and interpretation of results.
- Collaborate and interact regularly with cross-functional groups to troubleshoot and resolve complex technical problems to deliver data against aggressive timelines.
- Ensure integrity of deliverables; provide scientific methodology input to meet discovery project objectives and regulatory requirements.
- Communicate findings internally and externally. Contribute to scientific and strategy discussions to advance and enhance the scientific platform and drug candidates. Author/review scientific publications.
- Accountable for project success and results delivery
Moderna is pleased to provide you and your family with a comprehensive and innovative suite of benefits, including:
- Ph.D. in the life sciences (Biology, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Computational Biology or related science)
- Extensive experience in NGS, molecular biology, and bioinformatics
- Industry experience preferred
- Expertise in programming (Python and/or R)
- Commitment to excellence and innovation
- Effective time management, organization, and planning skills
- Detail-oriented with strong record-keeping skills
- Self-starter with a "can do" attitude
- Works well in a team environment
- Results oriented; ability to manage performance
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of teams
- Capacity to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Capable to quickly adapt to changing priorities and thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial setting
- Scientifically curious, pragmatic and driven to succeedPersonable, organized and detail oriented
- Highly competitive and inclusive medical, dental and vision coverage options
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses
- Lifestyle Spending Account funds to help you engage in personal enrichment and self-care activities
- Family care benefits, including subsidized back-up care options and on-demand tutoring
- Free premium access to fitness, nutrition, and mindfulness classes
- Exclusive preferred pricing on Peloton fitness equipment
- Adoption and family-planning benefits
- Dedicated care coordination support for our LGBTQ+ community
- Generous paid time off, including:
• Vacation, sick time and holidays
• Volunteer time to participate within your community
• Discretionary year-end shutdown
• Paid sabbatical after 5 years; every 3 years thereafter
- Generous Paid Leave offerings, including 18 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents
- 401k match and Financial Planning tools
- Moderna-paid Life, LTD and STD insurance coverages, as well as voluntary benefit options
- Complimentary concierge service including home services research, travel booking, and entertainment requests
- Free parking or subsidized commuter passes
- Location-specific perks and extras!
Candidates should be aware that Moderna currently maintains a policy requiring all US-based employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and receive a booster shot once eligible. Newly hired employees must be vaccinated and boosted prior to their employment start date. Moderna is an equal opportunity employer and will provide a reasonable accommodation to those unable to be vaccinated or receive a booster where it is not an undue hardship to the company to do so as provided under federal, state, and local law.About Moderna
In over 10 years since its inception, Moderna has transformed from a research-stage company advancing programs in the field of messenger RNA (mRNA), to an enterprise with a diverse clinical portfolio of vaccines and therapeutics across seven modalities, a broad intellectual property portfolio in areas including mRNA and lipid nanoparticle formulation, and an integrated manufacturing plant that allows for rapid clinical and commercial production at scale. Moderna maintains alliances with a broad range of domestic and overseas government and commercial collaborators, which has allowed for the pursuit of both groundbreaking science and rapid scaling of manufacturing. Most recently, Moderna's capabilities have come together to allow the authorized use and approval of one of the earliest and most effective vaccines against the COVID-19 pandemic.
Moderna's mRNA platform builds on continuous advances in basic and applied mRNA science, delivery technology and manufacturing, and has allowed the development of therapeutics and vaccines for infectious diseases, immuno-oncology, rare diseases, cardiovascular diseases and autoimmune diseases. Moderna has been named a top biopharmaceutical employer by Science for the past seven years. To learn more, visit www.modernatx.com.
Moderna is a smoke-free, alcohol-free and drug-free work environment.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.