Information Technology Services at West Virginia University is currently accepting applicaitons for a Research Business Analyst.
About the Opportunity
As a Research Business Analyst, you wll serve as a liaison between the WVU Research Office and the IT organization to provide business process solutions and technical support to meet departmental and institutional research needs. Assist in the analysis, development, implementation and support of business processes and systems. Lead business process re-engineering teams for complex business process redesign. Represent information technology staff for technology initiatives and tasks. Translate high-level business requirements into detailed specifications. Analyze research office business processes and systems providing recommendations for improvement or new process development. Prepare, design, and maintain test plans and test scripts for supported processes and systems. Conduct testing in support of upgrades and enhancements applied to supported systems. Configure no-code enterprise research administration software to reflect WVU's business process; utilize other no-code solutions to develop automated workflows and forms.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
What you'll do:
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
- 18 sick days per year (for when you’re ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family’s, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits (this position is a benefits-eligible non-classified staff position)
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ’s.
- Wellness programs
Responsibilities are functional and technical in nature and performed under general supervision. Specific tasks include but are not limited to:
- Conducts business analysis and writes requirements for systems and integrations.
- Leverages business analyst best practice (BABOK) to develop, support, and improve BA processes and artifacts within the IT team.
- Applies knowledge of System Development Life Cycle (SDLC), business analysis techniques, project management techniques, SQL, higher education, and functional processes to develop appropriate solutions for the business.
- Performs analysis and makes recommendations in areas that require a high level of business acumen.
- Utilizes business analysis techniques to engage and collaborate with end users, stakeholders, and other IT resources.
- Elicits, analyzes, organizes, and documents requirements; ensures approval by stakeholders.
- Develops robust test plans against specific technical and functional requirements.
- Translates business needs into detailed specifications.
- Supports the effective use and integration of systems, research new features, and implements baseline functionality.
- Designs and implements solutions to improve operational efficiency, reduce errors, and adapt to new requirements.
- Applies technical skills to develop automated workflows using the provided software and configures no-code software used in support of research administration and compliance.
- Establish and maintain relationships with business areas and technology staff.
- Confer with systems analysts, engineers, programmers, and others to design system and to obtain information on project limitations and capabilities, performance requirements and interfaces.
- Contribute to project deliverables including vision documents, status reports, and project, risk, and resource plans.
- Participate in ongoing professional development of the changing trends within the respective areas; participate in cross training with the other areas.
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Five (5) years experience in the following:
- Research administration and compliance, such as sponsored projects, human subjects research in a higher education environment is preferred.
- Collaborating with business units to gather requirements and determine functional process gaps.
- Defining problems, collecting data, establishing structure, and performing analysis for complex business issues.
- Writing technical design/solution documents.
- Business process analysis and improvement.
- Technical experience with developing solutions using no-code software to automate workflow.
- Leading User Acceptance Testing
- Implementing software in a large complex organization such as a higher education environment.
- Skilled at building and maintaining positive relationships. Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to analyze moderate to complex business problems and, propose effective solutions.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple assignments and priorities.
- Skilled at using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions or approaches to problems.
- Skilled at driving functional user stories/requirements definition by observing, interacting with, and gathering feedback from all users/customers.
- Skilled at developing automated workflows using no-code software and configuring software to meet business requirements.
- Board knowledge of technology solutions/architecture in use in large complex organizations.
- Knowledge of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and project management processes.
- Maintains knowledge of professional principles, legal and/or reporting requirements affecting the responsibilities of research.
- Ability to interpret documents such as federal regulations related to research and higher education and translate into system/service requirements.
- Excellent writing skills for reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers and employees of the organization.
- Ability to schedule and effectively facilitate remote meetings with customers.
- Technical skills - Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; pursues training and development opportunities; assesses strengths and weaknesses; and shares expertise with others.
- Problem solving - Gathers and analyzes information, identifies problems, develops alternatives, uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics, works well in groups, and resolves matters timely.
- Internal & External Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional matters with objectivity and openness; responds promptly to needs and requests for service and assistance; meets commitments and dates, notifies others if change occurs; provides, solicits, and applies feedback; and builds goodwill through balanced contributions, positive approach, respect and support of others.
- Communications - Demonstrates group presentation skills, participates in meetings using video with the camera on and in-person when required, listens and gets clarification, is responsive and speaks clearly and persuasively in positive and negative situations. Writes and edits clearly and informatively, varies style to meet needs, presents numerical data effectively, and is able to read and interpret written information. Ability to maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, vendors and the public.
- Organizational Support - Aligns work and develops strategies to meet organizational goals; seeks to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; and upholds organizational expectations and values.
- Self-Management - Responds to management direction; resourcefully adapts to changes in work environment and circumstances; responds well under pressure and manages competing demands; takes calculated risks, asks for and offers help when needed; exercises discretion and sound judgment; is tactful and responsible for own actions. Adheres to work schedule and complies with leave management responsibilities.
- Remote Communication - Facilitates remote meetings for requirements gathering, testing and general customer interface with video. Is available to be onsite when required with agreed upon notice.