GENERALOVERVIEWTechnical expertise:Independently prepares the instrumentation, supplies and equipment required forthe performance of office based procedures following practice protocols andhospital policies.
The Procedural Medical Assistant(PMA) is an autonomous professional who delivers the highest level ofstate-of-the art expertise in the performance of office based procedures incollaboration with the care team. S/he is responsible and accountable for thequality of care provided to the patient. The PMA participates and facilitatesthe direct and indirect care of patients, patient instruction, and regulatoryrequirements within the scope of practice and consistent with his/her educationand training. Major functions include, but are not limited to, safe preparationof the instrumentation in accordance with manufacturer guidelines and hospitalpolicies, equipment and environment for office based procedures, and independentlyensuring all regulatory requirements are followed relating to equipment careand maintenance. S/he works directly under the supervision of the medicaldirector and Practice Manager. The PMA also serves as a resource and mentor tomedical assistants in the practice.
PRINCIPALDUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Ensures that all equipmentis present and in optimal operating condition. Manages maintenance needs ofequipment including regular maintenance and repairs, coordinating with vendorand Practice Manager as necessary.
Anticipates the needs ofthe patient and clinician to facilitate the smooth and timely flow of theprocedure.
Maintains sterility at alltimes; recognizes and resolves any breaks in sterile field.
Performs technical skillscompletely and efficiently ensuring patient safety, comfort and privacy.
Works with practicemanagers and outside vendors to ensure that equipment is available and in goodworking condition.
Ensures that equipment andsupply levels are sufficient to ensure that all office based procedures can beperformed as scheduled. Proactivelyorders supplies, working with Practice Manager as necessary.
Proactively alerts PracticeManager of needs related to equipment (new purchases, replacements and repairs)
Competencies in all OB/GYNpractice site procedures and MA technical skills.
Rooming process:Escort patients to exam room and follow practice workflow (e.g., patientidentification, initiate medication reconciliation, screening questions, vitalsigns) including documentation in Epic in a professional, inclusive, accurate,and enthusiastic manner. Prepare patient for procedure, explaining the procedure,ensuring that the patients concerns are addressed. Facilitate the patient's recovery from theprocedure and ensure the prompt turnover of the room.
Responsible resource use:Maintain cost effective use of supplies, equipment, time and otherresources. Communicates needs forequipment and medical supply order/repair, and order items as needed, ensuringbudget is followed. Proactively identify opportunities for efficiencies or costsavings.
Sterilization:Follows manufacturer, institution, department and practice-specific protocolsfor instrument cleaning and sterilization and high-level disinfection. Completesannual competency requirements.
Documentation:Independently maintains all necessary logs and records per establishedstandards of care and compliance readiness. Facilitates and participates in the Universal Protocol.
Ongoing Development:Attends educational programs/meetings to learn new skills and information toimprove patient care. Completes annual competencies in a timely manner.Actively works with hospital infection control teams on sterilizationprotocols, as required. Serves as Subject Matter Expert (SME) at the discretionof the Practice Manager.
Training / Mentorship:Ensure practice protocols are well documented and communicated to team. Act asa mentor to new staff members.
ProjectLeadership/Operational Improvement: Lead and complete projectsto support clinical operations. Actively identify opportunities to improveclinical workflows and implement recommendations
Practice Assistant: dutieswhich include but not limited to check in and out, insurance verification,triage phone calls, scanning, and all other administrative duties assigned.
Floating: proficienciesin all OB/GYN practice sites after probation period is completed successfully. AnyMA may be assigned to float to any OB/GYN practice site to fulfil operationalneeds and vacancies in the department up to 6 weeks at a time.
Other Duties As Assigned
Qualifications QUALIFICATIONSCompletion of acertification program as a Medical Assistant.
One to three years'experience as a Medical Assistant or other comparable experience at minimum preferred.
Demonstrated ability inperformance of office based procedures (e.g., hysteroscopy, colposcopy, etc.),strongly preferred.
Experience working in anambulatory clinical setting with high procedure volume, preferred.
Experience with Epic, preferred.
Ability to prioritize work andmeet deadlines, and work under pressure.
Excellent organizational andcommunication skills.
Computer knowledge required.
SKILLSAND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Work requires an in-depth understanding of the equipment used for office based procedures (e.g., hysteroscopy, colposcopy, etc.).
- Must be sensitive to and supportive of patients, families and care-providers.
- Must be able to respond quickly and purposefully to routine and unusual situations.
- Must have ability to recognize problems, establish priorities and initiate appropriate responses.
- Should enjoy assisting patients and be sensitive and supportive of patient concerns.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills and a mature level of courtesy, tact and professionalism required to deal with patients, management, providers and co-workers.
- Exhibits strong communication skills and good judgment necessary to elicit information from patients and to distinguish emergent, urgent and routine problems.
- Must work as a team player and be an effective mentor.
- Follow HIPAA guidelines forthe management of patient privacy and confidentiality
- Demonstrateseffective oral communication skills in English. Communicates in a professional,courteous, clear, and concise manner. Facilitates therapeutic relationshipsbetween patients, families and other members of the health care team
- Abilityto manage work in a neat and systematic way. Ability to manage multiple taskseffectively, appropriately prioritize clinical work, follow establishedpolicies, procedures and clinical practice guidelines and workflows
- Demonstratesability to utilize technology in the clinical setting. Includes basic computerskills as well as the utilization of electronic medical equipment. Ability totype accurately and enter data at an intermediate level. Ability to becomeproficient in using the EHR and other appropriate applications. Ability toutilize hand-held technology and download related data to the electronic healthrecord.
Brigham and Women's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Allqualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regardto race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protectedveteran status, or on the basis of disability.