- Serves as New Patient Coordinator, registering, scheduling, and coordinating new patient appointments at main campus and all satellite locations (Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital, Brigham and Women's Surgical Associates at South Shore Hospital and Brigham and Women's / Mass General Health Care Center in Foxborough) for providers in the division.
- Serves as BWH liaison in the Dana Farber/Brigham and Women's Cancer Center Direct to Surgery Program.
- Schedules and confirms patient appointments, radiology imaging, and other necessary visits using appropriate information systems.
- Proactively works with clinic and administrative staff to ensure they have sufficient information for patient encounters, including outside medical records by obtaining details of prior relevant history from the patient, notifying the patient, and requesting records.
- Engages with other departments/hospitals to coordinate services as needed.
- Oversees scanning/maintenance of electronic medical records.
- Maintains consistent knowledge of contracted and non-contracted insurance plans.
- Obtains, verifies, records and processes required patient demographics, referrals, authorizations, and insurance/payment information.
- Collects, compiles and forwards co-payment/payment/self-pay/reimbursement documentation to appropriate internal parties.
- Serves as liaison to BWH billing vendor and insurance companies - efficiently and effectively addressing billing questions/issues as they arise.
- Planning & Administration
- Sends new patient paperwork via regular US mail or email utilizing 'send secure' function.
- Provides administrative support including composing correspondence, completing forms, retrieving and delivering patient records.
- Maintains effective organizational system to prevent errors and ensure all work is completed in a timely manner.
- Answers and responds to all patient calls within appropriate timeframe (24 hours or less).
- Monitors and handles email and eReferral requests for new patient appointments.
- Greets patients and directs visitors.
- Works cooperatively with all divisional staff to ensure a positive patient experience.
- Responds to requests for routine information or assistance within scope of knowledge.
- Divisional & Other Duties
- Attends General Surgical Specialties staff meetings, practice team meetings, team huddles, and other meetings are requested.; positively participates in meeting and team roles as requested.
- Supports divisional initiatives as they are implemented.
- Frequently reviews Department of Surgery, Division of General Surgical Specialties, and individual performance metrics; works continuously toward improvement goals.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
• High school diploma or GED required; post-high school education preferred.
• Minimum one year of applicable work experience required.
• Additional training in office systems preferred. SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Technical skills required:
• Knowledge of practice operations and standards.
• Understanding of procedures including filing, copying, scanning, printing, and faxing.
• Ability to use phone system (answer and screen calls, put on hold), answer routine questions, and give routine information.
• Ability to interpret information as appropriate, answer routine questions in the most professional manner, and communicate in a professional, courteous, clear, and concise manner.
• Ability to manage work processes in a neat and orderly way and to sort and alphabetize.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively, follow established protocols, and work within systems.
• Ability to correspond and communicate with others clearly and effectively in writing (via e-mail, memo, or interoffice note) and to take complete and accurate messages.
• Ability to type and enter data at an entry level. Entry level understanding of applicable systems.
• Understanding of the appropriate use and importance of related forms.
• Basic understanding and use of medical terminology.
• Basic comprehension of insurance types and referral process.
• Basic comprehension of registration and fiscal information.
• Knowledgeable and compliant with all hospital, State, and Federal requirements (where applicable to job performance), including policy and procedures with The Joint Commission and HIPAA. WORKING CONDITIONS:
Hospital based ambulatory practice. Normal patient environments where there are some exposures to communicable diseases, unpleasant odors, needle, and blood products.HOSPITAL WIDE RESPONSIBILITIES:
Works within legal, regulatory, accreditation and ethical practice standards relevant to the position and as established by BWH/Partners; follows safe practices required for the position; complies with appropriate BWH and Partners policies and procedures; fulfills any training required by BWH and/or Partners, as appropriate; brings potential matters of non-compliance to the attention of the supervisor or other appropriate hospital staff.Must maintain highest standards of professionalism, ethics, and integrity.
Must have strong customer service, communication, and interpersonal skills in dealing with patients, providers and colleagues. Must be team-oriented in dealing with multiple stakeholders and communication channels.Must be sensitive to and supportive of patients, families, and care-providers.Must be resourceful in obtaining information when it is not readily available and in responding to unusual situations.Must have ability to recognize problems, establish priorities and initiate appropriate responses to effectively resolve situations.EEO Statement
Brigham and Women's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.