Answer all incoming phone calls in a polite and courteous manner. Triage all phone calls appropriately throughout the division and hospital. Page Physician Assistants with medical questions from patients, in accordance with protocol.Schedule patients for outpatient clinic appointments, both in person and over the telephone, in as timely a fashion as possible and in accordance with the Attending's directions.Thoroughly create and schedule all coordinating chest x-rays and chest CT scans for the outpatient clinic appointments mentioned above, also in as timely a fashion as possible and in accordance with the Attending's directions.Clearly communicate appointment/imaging information to patients both at time of booking, as well as during confirmation calls (to be made for every patient at least one day before patient's appointment).Check-in patients, including obtaining copy of front and back of insurance card for all new patients (or patients who have recently changed insurance), collecting from patient any updates to their "Summary 1" and/or "Summary 2" forms, and collecting any and all applicable copays."Batch-out" copays and deliver copays and batches to Practice Manager/Practice Coordinator prior to leaving each day. Check all patient insurance eligibility and obtain all necessary referrals/authorizations prior to each clinic.Responsible for managing the billing rejection and appeal database through the insurance workqueue. Target to be under 25 pending invoicesMaintain "No-Show" list and make notes in Epic and/or mail letters as necessary in regard to patient no-show's/cancellations.Contact patients on "Bump" list according to "Bump" list protocol, making notes in Epic appointment message and/or mailing letters as necessary according to said protocol.Log all incoming outside hospital imaging, and send to Film Library for upload into Centricity, in a timely fashion.Check Front Desk voicemail throughout the day, and follow up on all voicemails by 5pm.Ensure waiting room and restroom are clean and organized throughout the day. Prepare waiting room at beginning and ending of each day including, but not limited to coffee, magazines, pastries, patient information booklets. Prepare all temporary charts for patients' office visits on a daily basis; including batching out and attaching necessary paperwork to charts. Assemble all charts for late add-on's and walk-in's. Disassemble charts after clinic and scan any medical records received and/or created during patient's visit.Communicate with the clinic team, including manager, all patient precautions that the clinic needs to be aware of in regards to treatment.Fax/mail all medical requests to the requesting facility or Physician, in accordance with HIPAA guidelines and regulations. All other duties as assigned by manager.Qualifications
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- High school diploma or GED required; post-high school education preferred.
- Minimum one year of applicable work experience required.
- Additional training in office systems preferred.
Technical skills required:
• Knowledge of practice operations and standards.
• Understanding of procedures including filing, copying, scanning, printing, and faxing.
• Ability to use phone system (answer and screen calls, put on hold), answer routine questions, and give routine information.
• Ability to interpret information as appropriate, answer routine questions in the most professional manner, and communicate in a professional, courteous, clear, and concise manner.
• Ability to manage work processes in a neat and orderly way and to sort and alphabetize.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively, follow established protocols, and work within systems.
• Ability to correspond and communicate with others clearly and effectively in writing (via e-mail, memo, or interoffice note) and to take complete and accurate messages.
• Ability to type and enter data at an entry level. Entry level understanding of applicable systems.
• Understanding of the appropriate use and importance of related forms.
• Basic understanding and use of medical terminology.
• Basic comprehension of insurance types and referral process.
• Basic comprehension of registration and fiscal information.
• Knowledgeable and compliant with all hospital, State, and Federal requirements (where applicable to job performance), including policy and procedures with The Joint Commission and HIPAA.EEO Statement
Brigham and Women's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.