GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT: Positively identifies patient according to department policies and procedures.Confirms accuracy of electronic orders, labels and requisitions according to department policies and procedures.Develops a relationship with the patient that is comforting and demonstrates confidence for the venipuncture procedure.Properly instruct patients as to how to obtain urine samples and/or 24-hour collections of urine samples and all other samples as needed.
Performs blood-drawing procedures to obtain specimens from young adults (13 years) to geriatric (greater than 65 years) for laboratory testing. In addition, must be able to perform blood-drawing procedures on babies (birth to early childhood up to one year) for laboratory testing. Patient populations for the blood drawing will include immunosuppressed, late stage cancer, and the morbidly obese patients. Provides phlebotomy training, product evaluation and new application implementation upon request.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES ANDRESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Demonstrates the skills and competence for venipuncture procedure.
2. Demonstrates the skills and competence to accurately review completed laboratory requisitions or electronic orders in Epic.Completes all necessary information including the legible documentation of assigned phlebotomy code, collection date, and other required information.Properly retrieves electronic orders from Sunquest, Collection manager and Epic as necessary.Follows procedures for obtaining "standing order" information according to department policy.Includes all requirements in formation for the Blood Bank samples (initials, date, patient name and medical record number on all tubes and requisitions).Follows department policies related to the collection of "discharge/transfer", STAT and timed collections.
3. Demonstrates the skill and competence necessary to perform the venipuncture and heelstick procedures.Selects the best vein or site available for blood drawing.Demonstrates skill with various types of needles and other collection equipment.Follows correct "order of draw" for vacutainer tubes.Follows procedures for the appropriate collection of blood cultures to avoid contamination of specimen.Removes the tourniquet according to department policies and procedures.Labels all samples in accordance with department policies and procedures.Check the collection site prior to leaving the patient.
4. Follows all Infection Control guidelines throughout the venipuncture procedure.Wears appropriate personal protective equipment as required.Follows all patient precautions and procedures for isolation.Discards all equipment (sharps, glove, etc.) as required.Follow hospital Hand Hygiene policies and procedures between all procedures and patients.
5. Demonstrates knowledge of collection criteria: correct vacutainer tubes, volume, stability requirements and/or special handling.
6. Effectively teaches and trains all new employees, students, and other additional requests for teaching and training. Provides constructive feedback.
7. Assists with new product evaluations and the development of new products upon request. Assists with the implementation of new applications and hardware. Provides constructive feedback.
8. Follows all instructions applicable to research protocols.Collaborates with principle investigator and/or supervisor to draw appropriate tubes for tests requested and meet requirements for timed collections. Transports specimens appropriately according to protocols.
9. Completes phlebotomy sheets, logbooks and other documentations as required, including required documentation during a downtime.
10. Demonstrates professional behavior and customer service skills at all times.Answers all calls/ two way phones in a professional manner. Return the pages within the time required.Effectively interacts with supervisor, co-workers and clinical staff to avoid misunderstandings and conflicts.Effectively interacts with patients and patient's families.Demonstrates a caring and sensitive attitude to all hospital staff, patients and families.
11. Works collaboratively as a member of the phlebotomy team at all times.Follows all policies and procedures related to attendance, absenteeism, tardiness and scheduled breaks.Communicates in a professional and effective manner.Work as a part of the team to provide adequate phlebotomy coverage/including offsites.
12. Maintains inventory and stocks supplies.Ensures adequate supplies are available for rounds/labs. Notifies team leaders or supervisor when supply levels are low.Routinely inspects vacutainer tubes and other supplies for expiration dates and discards as appropriate.
13. Responsible for pagers, two way phones and other hospital devices.Adheres to the pager and two way protocol and is responsible for the communication devices.Adheres to the Epic and Collection Manager protocol and is responsible for care of the scanners and printers.
14. Responsible to work weekend and holiday hours according to the needs of the department.
15. Responsible to be aware of Joint Commission National Patient Safety Goals and to compile with all BWH hospital and laboratory policies and procedures.
16. Performs all other duties as required including:Performs heel sticks according to policy and procedures.Demonstrates knowledge for the administration of glucose solutions for glucose tolerance testing.Performs EKG's according to department policies and procedures.Qualifications
1. High School diploma or equivalent.
2. Phlebotomy certification preferred.
3. Two years experience as BWH phlebotomist with performance evaluation score of effective or above.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
1. Knowledge and practice of proper aseptic techniques necessary to prevent injury to self and patients.
2. Knowledge to select appropriate vacutainer tubes and volumes for test(s) requested.
3. Ability to communicate with patients and families to alleviate fears and anxieties and make them feel comfortable and cared for.
4. Physically be able to stand and walk for long periods of time (90% of the day) and transport supplies and specimens as required.
5. Ability to communicate effectively with all phlebotomy team members, clinicians and other hospital staff
6. Some computer skills necessary for training on the use of E-mail and hospital applications as required.
7. Demonstrate competencies in areas of:Venipuncture technique and all blood drawing procedures.Appropriate choice of vacutainer tubes and required blood volumes.Patient identification and specimen labeling.Customer service skills to include ability to communicate with patients and staff.EEO Statement
Brigham and Women's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
This job has expired.