The Innovation Labs at the University of Denver is a fully equipped makerspace, collaboration space, and co-working space open to all DU students, faculty, and staff. Our mission is to facilitate creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship through interdisciplinary collaboration at the University of Denver. Since opening in January 2017, we have fostered creativity and innovation through numerous workshops, events, and partnerships. We strive to maintain an-open access, fun and creative environment for experimentation and experiential learning.
We are currently seeking a Woods and Plastics Lab Manager with the talent and passion required to help further our mission and continue to build out what has been a very exciting first launch. Successful candidates will demonstrate an interest in working with a wide variety of students, staff, faculty, and community members through efficient management of day-to-day activities.
The Woods and Plastics Lab Manager of Innovation Labs is a part-time position (20 hours a week). The Lab Manager will oversee the staff of student employees, maintain operations of the space, assess current operations and implement strategies to improve the space's access, abilities, and impact.
This is a non-benefited, part-time position not to exceed 1,000 hours in a calendar year.
- Employee Management
- Select, train, assign, schedule, coach, counsel, and discipline employees.
- Communicate job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising, and reviewing job contributions.
- Work closely with the accounting, events, HR, maintenance, marketing, etc. team leads to ensure communication across levels
- Facility Management
- Maintain safe and healthy work environment by establishing, following and enforcing standards and procedures.
- Track and maintain necessary operating tools and materials, working closely with accounting to budget these processes.
- Communicate all operating policies and/or issues at scheduled meetings.
- Relationship Management
- Work with DU students, faculty, staff, and community.
- Growth and Outreach
- Contribute operations information and recommendations; prepare and complete action plans; implement productivity, quality, and customer-service standards; resolve problems.
- Develop operations systems; develop, implement, enforce and evaluate policies and procedures; develop processes for equipment utilization, inventory, and space use.
- Analyze process workflow, employee and space requirements and equipment layout; implement changes.
- Ensure consistent opportunities for the DU community to learn safe operations and rules of access for the space.
- Work closely with Executive Director and Operations Manager to set and/or implement policies, procedures and systems and to follow through with implementation.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with students, faculty, alumni, and employers of diverse backgrounds and interests.
- Experience working with woods and plastics.
- Strong oral communication skills, ability to develop and give oral presentations to both large and small groups on many skill levels and subject matters.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills; organized and "detail" as well as "big picture" oriented.
- Diverse and active involvement across campus; strong leadership and creative problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability and desire to learn new software and systems.
- Demonstrated commitment to building a diverse and inclusive DU.
- Comfort with tools, machinery, and working in noisy and busy spaces.
- Experience with Performance Management or Project Management, Coaching, Supervision, Quality Management, Developing Standards, Fostering Teamwork, Handling Pressure, Giving and Taking Feedback.
- Skilled at teaching woods and plastic techniques to people at diverse levels of knowledge/experience.
- Understanding of design processes and execution, specifically digital design.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu
to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Please include the following document with your application:
Salary Grade Number
- Cover letter
The salary grade number for this position is 3. Hourly Rate
The hourly rate for this position is $15.00.
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidate's sex or any other protected status.Benefits
The University of Denver
offers some benefits for non-benefited employees. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.Advertised:
May 25, 2021 Applications close: