PROGRAM FOR INTENSIVE ENGLISH (IN-PIE-IUINA)
The Program for Intensive English (PIE) is a program within the School of Liberal Arts at IUPUI. Students of various levels of English proficiency - from beginners to those getting ready for graduate degree programs - study academic English in the program, which offers 6 sessions each year. PIE students range in age from 18 to 50 or older, and include international students, visitors to the U.S., immigrants, refugees, and others. More than 50 countries have been represented in PIE's student body to date.
For information about the department, please visit: School of Liberal Arts.
- Covers the front desk of the PIE Office (on the first floor of Cavanaugh Hall).
- Interacts professionally and pleasantly with current PIE students, prospective students and/or their family members, PIE faculty and staff, and occasional members of the larger IUPUI community.
- In collaboration with the Assistant Director (AD), answers common current and prospective student questions, and/or classifies which questions need to be brought to the attention of the Assistant Director in person or via email.
- Prepares orientation materials and assists the AD in running new student orientation for each session.
- Responsible for daily administrative tasks, such as:
- Organizes applications for Assistant Director.
- Manages applications and current student data.
- Answers phone calls and/or emails (as needed).
- Creates and updates flyers and handouts (as needed).
- Refills printer paper and supplies for the office.
- General knowledge at the high school level
- Ability to communicate clearly with non-native English speakers of various proficiency levels
- Intercultural awareness - a friendly and interested approach to those from other cultures
- Persistence in completing multifaceted tasks with non-native speakers
- Comfort with answering prospective student phone calls
- Articulateness in speaking and strong writing skills
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Excel and Outlook
- Careful attention to detail for accurate data input and management
- Ability to handle multiple tasks with frequent interruptions
- Demonstrates initiative and a creative approach to problem-solving
Working Conditions / Demands
- Bilingual or comfort using Google Translate (common languages include Spanish, Arabic, French, and Burmese)
- Experience studying or living abroad
- Experience teaching, tutoring, or otherwise interacting with non-native English speakers
- Academic training in teaching English to non-native speakers
This role requires the ability to effectively communicate and to operate a computer and other standard office productivity equipment. The position involves sedentary work as well as periods of time moving around an office environment and the campus. The person in this role must be able to perform the essential functions with or without an accommodation.Work Location
Indianapolis, IndianaWork Hours
This part time position is 20 - 25 hours a week.Benefits Overview
For full-time staff employees, Indiana University offers a wide array of benefits including:
- Multiple plan options for medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Health Savings Account with generous IU contribution
- Life insurance, LTD, and AD&D options
- Base retirement plan contribution from IU, subject to vesting
- Additional supplemental retirement plan options
- Tuition benefit for IU classes
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Learn more about our benefits by reviewing our online Benefits Brochure.Job Classification
Career Level: Part Time Employee
Job Function: Part Time Employee
Job Family: Part Time Employee
Click here to learn more about Indiana University's Job Framework.Posting Disclaimer
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be differences in the working conditions as advertised in our standard job postings (e.g., the ability to travel from one campus to another, etc.). If you are invited for an interview, please discuss your questions or concerns regarding the working conditions at that time.
This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted Date.
If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with your resume when uploading attachments.New employees will be provided with information regarding Indiana University's COVID-19 vaccine policy, which includes the opportunity to request an exemption. To learn more, view our COVID-19 vaccine information page.Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment based on individual qualifications. Indiana University prohibits discrimination based on age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University's Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.Campus Safety and Security
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all Indiana University campuses, is available online. You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at email@example.com or by visiting IUPD.Contact Us