This position is located at Naval Base San Diego. Candidates must be local to California or willing to relocate. Candidates must also be licensed at the independent level in California.
Primary responsibility of providing the full breadth of MFLC (military family life counseling) counseling services to military service members and their families at military installations. Services include non-medical, short term, walk around counseling, training/health and wellness presentations, provision of health fairs, and consultation to installation command regarding behavioral health issues. Works closely with the installation and military branch Points of Contact (POC) to assure that the program is provided within scope and meets the needs of the installation.
- Provides non-medical, short term, solution focused, walk around counseling directly to service and family members. Services include assessment, brief counseling and consultation, action planning, referral to resources (assuring linkage as appropriate), and follow-up as indicated. Delivers training and health and wellness presentations, participates in health fairs and other base/installation activities as requested/ directed. Enters counselor activity data on a daily basis through smart phone, web, or fax to assure that reporting is accurate from assigned installation, while maintaining client / service member confidentiality.
- Creates a presence on the installation in which the service and family members feel comfortable approaching the counselor and recognize the program to be confidential. Establishes and maintains working relationships with community resources and provides appropriate linkages for service members and their families. Partners with POC to provide MFLC services in a manner that addresses the needs of the installation. Develops an excellent working relationship with the installation POC.
- Provides MFLC response to critical incidents, surge and on demand events, and special requests as directed by the POC and approved by the OSD program manager. Counselor will flex schedule to respond to urgent requests as needed.
- Manages duty to warn and restricted reporting situations according to DoD protocol and staffs the cases with Regional Supervisor/Regional Director.
- Communicates with Regional Supervisors and participate in regular individual and group supervision, sharing information regarding trends and issues on the installations to which they are assigned.
- Participates in regular in-services/training, Quality Improvement committees or other contract activities as assigned/appropriate.
- Serves as a full time substitute MFLC Counselor working in different facilities to provide coverage for a counselor(s) due to illness or absences from their assignment as needed.
Other Job Requirements
- Prior military service/military family member and/or strong familiarity with military culture and command structure; ability to establish productive relationships with high ranking military personnel.
- Prior services as MFLC and/or CYB counselor strongly preferred.
- A minimum one year of post licensure counseling experience.
- Requires ability to engage and communicate with military members or children as assigned, in order to accomplish job functions, and to respond quickly to emergent situations in any physical location on a military installation and/or within a school setting, which includes the need to traverse short and/or long distances within the base to both indoor and outdoor locations, to maneuver through rugged, outdoor or uneven locations (e.g., steep inclines, stairs, grass), and work in outdoor weather and other military base conditions.
- May require travel to locations outside of a military base in a variety of physical environments.
- Due to the nature of working on military installations or related worksites, counselors may need to comply with various site specific requirements to work at designated locations. For example, for some assignments, counselors will need to have certain immunizations or vaccinations and provide record of receipt.
- Ability to prove US Citizenship and must be fluent in English.
- Advanced knowledge of brief therapy and solution-focused counseling methods.
General Job Information
Military Family Therapist
Masters: Behavioral Health (Required)
License and Certifications - Required
Current licensure required for this position that meets State, Commonwealth or customer-specific requirements - Care Mgmt, Must be an independently licensed behavioral health clinician - Care Mgmt
License and Certifications - Preferred
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. Every employee must understand, comply and attest to the security responsibilities and security controls unique to their position.