At Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
The Mechanical Design Engineer must utilize creativity and sound engineering judgment in the design of parts and subassemblies of next generation mechanical systems for medical capital equipment. The Mechanical Design Engineer is expected to use machine design and analytical skills to conceptualize, develop, and verify new mechanical designs. They are responsible for key system components and will interface with suppliers and manufacturing to build high-quality hardware prototypes and productize new designs. The Mechanical Engineer should be capable of making sound decisions when faced with the time constraints and ambiguous or incomplete information typical of research and development. Apply today and join one of the most exciting mechanical design and mechanical systems teams working on world-class surgical robotics.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Designing components and producing mechanical drawings in a regulated environment for volume manufacturing processes which may include cast metal, injection molded plastic, sheet metal stamped, and others
- Working within multi-disciplinary teams to define requirements for new and current designs
- Rapid development and iteration of full-scale prototypes of candidate architectures to satisfy requirements
- Developing mechanical assemblies, with careful consideration for key functions and safety
- Designing for manufacturability, reliability, serviceability, and cost
- Selecting and managing vendors in the prototype phase
- Collaborating with manufacturing to create product assembly tooling, fixtures, and instructions
- Developing and performing component verification testing and product validation testing
- Supporting production of final product by troubleshooting process and component problems
- Providing engineering support to Manufacturing, Test Engineering, and Service to facilitate transfer of designs
Skills, Experience, Education, & Training
- Minimum BSME, or similar
- Interest in the medical applications of robotics
- Ownership of key components or assemblies through multiple products
- Comfortable with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer
- Passion for details in creating robust and reliable machines designed for mission-critical applications
- Experience designing for volume manufacturing processes such as metal casting, plastic injection molding, sheet metal stamping, compression molding, thermoforming, etc.
- Ability to apply knowledge of engineering materials and component selection criteria to product designs through strong concept development, design analysis, hands-on prototyping, and reliability testing skills
- Proficiency using CAD, analysis
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Self-driven with the ability to excel in a high-energy, small, focused team environment, to maintain a strong sense of shared responsibility and reward, and to make work fun and interesting
- Post-graduate study or equivalent work experience preferred
- Robotics or Mechanical Systems design experience. Surgical or medical device product experience is a plus.
- Ability to execute and document component and assembly changes in an automated change control system and demonstrate that the changes were made properly
- Effective collaboration with multi-disciplinary functions like clinical, human factors, industrial design, interaction design, etc.
- Experience with Finite Element Simulation (FEM, FEA ,CFD, Multiphysics, etc.) tools to design mechanical assemblies
- SolidWorks experience
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Shift : Day
Travel : 10% of the time
Travel Requirements:10% of the time Shift:Day