Position Summary: The Machinist is responsible for operating machine tools to produce precision metal parts. This position is part of the Kollmorgen team in Radford, VA. Kollmorgen is part of Altra.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the following essential duties satisfactorily:
- Program CNC lathe and CNC milling machine to perform turning, boring, facing, counterboring, grooving, drilling, tapping, and milling.
- Chasing threads to different class fits, inside or outside diameters, turn tapers to the degrees, minutes and seconds.
- Perform all setups on machines, some requiring the use of special fixtures and other improvised methods for holding and aligning work to avoid distortion of parts.
- Study sample parts, blueprints, drawings, and engineering information to determine methods and sequences of operations needed to fabricate products, and determine product dimensions and tolerances.
- Select, recommend, and advise type of tooling needed to perform machining operations.
- Check feeds and speeds necessary to machine parts, maintain constant check to ensure adherence to close tolerance and co-related dimensions on shoulders, diameters, bore faces, slot grooves and high degree of squareness, concentricity and parallelism. Perform first-piece inspection.
- Sharpen and replace ordinary tooling and replace tooling that has become dull.
- Detect and report to coordinator any defective material or other unusual conditions.
- Coordinate with other machinists and supervisor.
- Work with QE and ME for product quality.
- Communicate with buyer/planner for material needed.
- Lubricate and clean equipment used.
- Keep work area orderly and observe prescribed safety rules at all times.
- Design fixtures, tooling, or experimental parts to meet special engineering needs.
- Dispose of scrap or waste material in accordance with company policies and environmental regulations.
- Evaluate experimental procedures, and recommend changes or modifications for improved efficiency and adaptability to setup and production.
- Associates degree in Machine Technology or equivalent certification or experience preferred.
- Minimum of three years of progressively difficult machinist experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, statistics, and their applications.
- Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Requires the use of judgment to plan, perform, and make decisions as to the sequence of setups, operations, and processes within the limitations of recognized or standard methods.
- Critical thinking and complex problem solving skills to identify alternative and correct solutions.
- Self-motivated and capable of completing tasks without supervision and within time limits.
- Must be able to maintain very close tolerances (.0003 or better). Requires a very high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
EEO Statement: The company in which you have expressed employment interest is a subsidiary or affiliate of Altra Industrial Motion Corp. The subsidiary or affiliate is referred to as an ""Altra Company."" Altra Industrial Motion Corp. and all Altra Companies are equal opportunity employers that evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or other characteristics protected by law. The ""EEO is the Law"" poster is available at: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you have a disability and need assistance accessing or using this website to apply for a position, you can request assistance by sending an email to email@example.com.
This job has expired.