The InventoryController is an integral member of the surgical team and is accountable forthe availability of supplies for patients as well as operational supplies forthe Pre-Op, Day Surgery Unit, and PACU while keeping within the annualprojected budget. The Inventory Controller anticipates needs for scheduledsurgical procedures by utilizing OR schedule, preference cards and purchasehistory. He/she works with manager to maintain par levels to support these goals.The inventory controller ensures PeopleSoft carts and integration page areaccurate - these maintain par levels and feed supplies to the OR medical recordas well as locations on surgeon preference lists for surgical procedures to aidin finding items. The inventory controller provides information to appropriatestaff about changes in product. He/she develops relationships with Surgeons,Anesthesia staff and nursing staff, the Inventory Controller functions as aninterdisciplinary team member who provides necessary items for quality patientcare and contributes toward the attainment of important goals for the patient,the department and the organization.
Job duties and responsibilitiesmay vary by department (see addendum A for more detail)
- Ensures timely ordering and of all Medical Surgical Supplies and Surgical Instruments for, Pre-op, PACU, DSU, CPD and bulk storage. Checks all bins daily and resolves any items below par. Communicates any issues to Manager.
- Checks all case carts daily to ensure they are complete. Resolves any missing lists for supplies and communicates with core nursing staff.
- Maintains PeopleSoft carts and adjust Min/Max - par levels as needed to provide necessary product for scheduled patients.
- Communicates with Manager, regarding back ordered supplies, new or deleted items and changes in product.
- Reviews open purchase orders daily and expedites when necessary to ensure timely delivery. Requests approval for substitute products if needed.
- Posts any changes/Back orders for Clinical staff.
- Acquisition of Return Goods Authorizations from vendor in timely manner when necessary, documentation and packaging product and delivering to CBRE staff for return to vendor.
- Assures accurate updateof PeopleSoft Integration page for new items and/or deleting items.
- Communicates allproduct/instrument changes to OR Billing Coordinator and requests changes insurgeon preference cards when necessary.
- Collectsinstruments/scopes for repair when needed. Creates purchase order, ships anddocuments. Requests loaner when needed. Ensures timely turnaround of items.
- Understands EPICpreference card system and assists in collecting information for updates.
- Participates ininternal department meetings and will be responsible to gather facts, presentdocumentation or perform other tasks related to the development of proceduresor programs relating to inventory.
- Stocks all areasOR Supply, PACU, Sinks 3rd and 4th floor attire, plasterwith par level in the absence of stock clerk, assists stock clerk when needed.Uses FIFO (First In, First Out-rotational) procedure to avoid stockpiling andensure sterility of product.
- Completes CaseCarts for each surgical procedure.
- Responsible forcompletion of quarterly checks of all product for expiration date and packageintegrity to ensure sterility in the absence of stock clerk, assists stockclerk when needed.
- Receives allproducts from distributor, UPS and FedEx in the absence of Stock clerk andassists if needed.
- Works within anOperating Room and environment human tissue bank understanding steriletechnique.
- Works within thehospital and departmental policies relating to hospital safety and infectioncontrol.
- Has competencyand Understands priorities for all inventory positions and team when needed,covers for time off.
High School Diploma/GED required
- Abilityto work independently.
- Abilityto analysis offacts to form a judgment
- Someknowledge and use of medical terminology preferred.
- Communicationskills: Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills inEnglish. Communicates in aprofessional, courteous, clear and concise manner. Able to build workingrelationships with surgeons, anesthesia staff, nurses and other members of thehealth care team.
- WritingSkills: Ability to correspond and communicate with others clearly andeffectively in writing (via e-mail, memo or interoffice note, documentation ofpatient information).
- OrganizationSkills: Ability to manage work processes in a neat and systematic way. Abilityto manage multiple tasks effectively, appropriately prioritize work, followestablished policies, procedures and workflows,
- TechnologySkills: Demonstrates ability to utilize technology in Inventory and OperatingRoom settings. Includes basic computerskills. Ability to type accurately and enter data at an intermediatelevel. Ability to become proficient inusing the PS and EPIC applications. Ability to utilize hand-held technology and download related data to theelectronic purchase order. Ability to use/text cell phone in operating roommaterials environment.
Experience inan Operating Room setting. Experience working within a materials environmentIE: stocking, receiving, ordering.
- Workswith the Manager to ensure coordination, integrity, and stability of theInventory as it relates to adding new items, deleting items, product increases,volume increases, etc. Analysis cost impact of new products. Will submitreports and research as required to assist in the preparation of the annualbudget
Works within legal, regulatory, accreditation and ethicalpractice standards relevant to the position and as established by BWH/Partner:follow safe practices required for the position; complies with appropriate BWHand Partners policies and procedures; fulfills any training required by BWHand/or Partners; as appropriate; brings potential matters of non-compliance tothe attention of the supervisor or other appropriate hospital staff.
Work is in arestricted area; staff must wear hospital issue scrub suits and disposablehats. Special shoes work only in the DSU must be worn or disposable shoe coverswill be provided. Works inside operating room and is within view of surgicalprocedures in progress. Handles packaged human cadaver tissues.
Brigham and Women's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.