Opportunity: Global Clinical Development Medical Director
Business Unit: Vaccines and Immune Therapies (COVID-19 / Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) / Influenza)
Locations: Cambridge, (UK)/Gothenburg (Sweden)/Gaithersburg or Durham (US), Warsaw (Poland)
Salary: Competitive, with excellent benefits
Make a more meaningful impact to patients' lives around the globe
With our ground-breaking Vaccines and Immune Therapy pipeline, the outlook is forward-thinking. Be proud to be part of a company that has achieved so much, yet is still moving forward. There's no better time to join our global, growing enterprise as we lead the way for healthcare and society!
Who we are
As a high performing and collegiate team, we are united and motivated by our shared purpose - to deliver life-changing medicines. We come to work each day to make a difference - to patients, society and our company.
Why we love it
This is the place to make an impact. Here we ensure everyone can reach their full potential, perform at their best and make a valued contribution to the enterprise.
What you'll do
In this anticipated role in the Vaccines & Immune Therapies Unit, Late-stage Clinical Development function you will be given the opportunity to work on one or more of our current or new vaccine or monoclonal antibody programs for COVID-19, Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) or Influenza, in a truly international working environment, with opportunities to interact with key external specialists, other medical colleagues and specialists in basic science, as well as commercial and regulatory functions.
Our Vaccines & Immune Therapies therapy area aligned project teams of physicians and scientists provide clinical guidance and scientific leadership for clinical development programs within AstraZeneca's global organization.
The Global Clinical Development Medical Director will work in a wide range of aspects in pharmaceutical medicine, and due to the global responsibilities, there will be a multitude of internal and external contacts with investigator sites, health authorities, colleagues and marketing companies. This is an opportunity to take on the challenges of clinical development in a team of positive, collaborative, focused and highly motivated colleagues.
Dependent on the stage of the study, you will work with the clinical project team and support the Global Clinical Head (GCH) and Global Clinical Program Lead (GCPL) with the study design & results interpretation process, establishing clear design objectives for clinical programs and studies. You will support the Investigator sites in responding to site questions and have medical oversight of the safety and wellbeing of study participants. You will provide medical input into the content of core labelling texts and medical support for commercial activities, as well as the scientific component of the pricing and value strategy. You will also provide medical and scientific expertise as well as tactical and strategic medical input to the development of AstraZeneca's compounds; primarily from Phase IIb to Phase IV.
Education, Qualifications, Skills and ExperienceEssential
- In this position you will work alongside the GCH, GCPL and Clinical Scientists in providing medical and scientific leadership in the global development of new medicines targeted at indications in the field of infectious diseases e.g. COVID-19, RSV, Influenza.
- You will have a meaningful role in the innovative design, execution and interpretation of clinical trials in one or more development programmes.
- The role will require you to build strong relationships with a network of external scientific specialists and opinion leaders.
- You will work closely with colleagues in other internal functions including Patient Safety, Regulatory Affairs and Clinical Operations.
- You will be involved primarily in late stage (Ph2b and later) clinical programmes but will be expected to collaborate with clinical colleagues supporting Early (R&I) stage programs as well as medical affairs colleagues.
- You will have medical oversight to ensure the safety of study participants including review of Adverse Events of Special Interest and Serious Adverse Events and review of safety narrative reports.
- You will have medical oversight responsibilities for medical activities outsourced to third party vendors.
- You will provide expert medical input into the preparation of regulatory documents and interactions with regulatory authorities.
- You will provide expert medical and scientific analysis and interpretation of data from ongoing studies and in the literature.
- You will participate in the preparation of publications and presentations at scientific meetings and congresses.
- Fully qualified physician (MD or MD PhD) with significant clinical experience in the area of infectious diseases
- Experience in late stage clinical drug development from pharma industry or CRO, at least 3-5 years
- Good understanding of clinical trials methodology
- Experience in the design, execution and interpretation of Late Stage clinical trials (phase 2b-3) in the infection area or any other therapeutic area/ specialty in clinical development
- Hands on experience of medical monitoring of phase 2b-3 studies
- Hands on experience of working with Electronic Case Report and laboratory systems
- Teamwork and collaboration skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally
- Willing to be office based at one of our AstraZeneca sites
So, what's next?
- Infectious diseases, monoclonal antibody &/or Virology background is desirable.
- Experience in development of vaccines & biologic drugs is preferable.
Are you already imagining yourself joining us? Good, because we can't wait to hear from you!
Advertising opens on 24th May 2022 and we welcome your application; CV and cover letter, no later than 25th June 2022.
We review applications on a rolling basis and may close advertising prior to that dateWhere you can find out more:
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/Follow AstraZeneca on
For more information please contact: email@example.comAdditional information
Our Company Values & Behaviours underpin everything we do so please take a moment to familiarize yourself with them. You may also want to check out our new R&D Video showing how we turn Science into Medicines. Covid-19 ResourcesMore information about our sites:
This job has expired.
- Cambridge, UK
- Gothenburg, Sweden
- Gaithersburg, US