Director, Pathology: Cancer Biomarker Development
Do you have expertise and a passion for translating basic research into patient treatments? Would you like to apply your expertise to improve cancer immunotherapies in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Can you work with multiple groups in a matrix environment to develop the next generation of cancer immunotherapies? Then AstraZeneca might be the place for you! Work with leaders in Immuno-Oncology and Cancer biology with a track record of making immunotherapies happen and improved patient outcomes a reality. Here at AstraZeneca, you'll have the opportunity to make a difference in people's lives every day.
As one of the world's premier pharmaceutical companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. We're constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients across key therapeutic areas including oncology, immunology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. We offer a broad range of therapeutics with a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family. AstraZeneca has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent. As a Medical Pathologist in Cancer Biomarker Development, you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
We are seeking an MD or DVM Anatomical Pathologist with sub-specialty qualifications, experience and interest in oncology to lead pathology support for our early oncology research and development team, in the Cancer Biomarker Development group. Our pathology team supports the translational medicine strategy for our early oncology pipeline, which includes Antibody-Drug Conjugates (ADCs), Radioimmune-conjugates, T-cell engagers, CAR-T cell, and mono- and bispecific antibody drug development programs. This individual will be part of the Translational Pathology group based at Gaithersburg, MD.
The individual will have a unique opportunity to work in a cross-functional team of pathologists, image analysts, bioinformaticians, translational scientists, immunologists and oncologists, to develop new biomarkers and applying that understanding to increase the probability of success of AstraZeneca oncology pipeline.
- Expertise or interest in immuno-oncology including CAR-Ts/cell therapies/T-cell bispecifics.
- Expertise in the design, optimization, validation and analysis of immunohistochemistry and multiplex immunofluorescence assays, and image analysis.
- Expertise in the diagnosis, classification and use of biomarkers in solid tumors.
- Expertise in biomarker development and its application to drug development
- Working as a team player in an international, multicultural cross-functional team of pathologists and scientists in AstraZeneca Cancer Biomarker Development.
- M.D. or D.V.M. degree from an accredited medical/veterinary school and board certification in pathology by a world-recognized examination board. A Ph.D in experimental or human pathology or a related filed is also required. Senior pathologists will have the depth of knowledge from at least 5 years of experience in biopharmaceutical or academic settings providing leadership.
- Senior pathologists will be versed in conducting preclinical / clinical studies with minimal scientific/technical support from other pathologists. In addition a strong publication record is highly desirable.
- At least five years of proven experience in translational research or oncology biomarker analysis in a clinical, academic or industry environment is highly desired
- Experience and interest in developing cutting edge digital pathology approaches.
- Expertise and interest in drug development, preferably in immuno-oncology and/or cell therapies is highly desired
About Our Gaithersburg Oncology Hub
- Understanding of the molecular pathways underlying solid tumors
- Understanding of drug and biomarker development process from target identification to post marketing approval
- Understanding of prognostic and predictive biomarkers and personalized healthcare approaches.
- Understanding of digital pathology.
- Understanding of the immune system and immunology as it relates to immune oncology and cell therapies
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills with ability to represent pathology data in internal and external meetings, conferences and scientific publications
- Organizational skills with attention to detail and demonstrated ability to review technical reports, biomarker protocols and quantitative analyses.
- Experienced and comfortable working in a matrix environment
- Understanding of and adaptable to working in different countries and different cultures
- Strong interpersonal and team player skills, demonstrating flexibility and a proven ability to deal with complexity under time pressure
- Tenacity and resourcefulness
- A flexible, team orientated attitude, willing to contribute own skills to deliver AZ priority project.
- Records of Publications in the immunology/immuno-oncology community.
- Understanding of the molecular pathways underlying cancer with demonstrated success in translating to development of drugs.
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we host some of the most pioneering technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria, copy center, game rooms, community garden, and much more. This is where you'll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while growing collaboration between teams.Why AstraZeneca
At AstraZeneca, any opportunity can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial, finding those moments, and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we're opening new ways to work, groundbreaking innovative methods, and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what's next!
Are you already envisioning yourself joining our team? Good, because we can't wait to hear from you!
If you're curious to know more, please contact Bobbi Poole, our Talent Acquisition Partner.Closing Date: April 11, 2023
Competitive remuneration and benefits apply
We offer a competitive Total Reward program including a market driven base salary, bonus and long term incentive. We have a generous paid time off program and a comprehensive benefits package.Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We align with all applicable laws and regulations on inclusivity in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.