The Otsuka US Legal Team is looking for an experienced attorney familiar with pharmaceutical pricing, reimbursement and market access who can be successful within our ethical, fast-paced, adaptive and collaborative culture. This position is located in either Princeton, NJ or Rockville, MD.
The Director, Corporate Counsel will bring an advanced understanding of the pharmaceutical industry. Having several years of applicable experience, the incumbent will offer a deep understanding of the legal and business risks specific to pharmaceutical product pricing, public and private third-party payer contracts, product labeling, and negotiating and drafting complex contracts for other functional areas. They will develop, implement and execute legal strategies that provide a solid legal position while enabling the business objectives. As a Director within the Legal team, it is expected the incumbent provide clear and appropriate advice to clients, will work independently and will know when to appropriately escalate complex and unique topics for confirmation of their own well-reasoned positions.
The Director, Corporate Counsel will report to the Senior Director, Corporate Counsel, who leads the Practice Group in Legal Affairs responsible for Market Access, Patient Support, Data & Analytics and Commercial Operations. Key responsibilities will be to provide proactive and strategic advice and counsel on product pricing, government price reporting requirements, as well as drafting and negotiating third-party contracts such as public and private payers, PBMs, GPOs and specialty pharmacies.
Additional Director Responsibilities
- Provide Legal support for Market Access (MA), Major focus is on Government Price Reporting and HHS Fraud and Abuse Issues.
- Draft, review and manage a variety of contracts and agreements including public and private payers, specialty pharmacy contracts, value-based contracts, PBMs, GPOs.
- Provide guidance to multi-functional teams to ensure compliance with company policies and legal/regulatory requirements.
- Perform other legal, administrative and corporate duties upon request
- Legal: Take responsibility for providing specific elements of the organization's legal service with guidance from senior colleagues.
- Solutions Analysis: Analyze specific problems and issues to find the best solutions. Solutions could be technical or professional in nature.
- Policies and Procedures Development: Contribute to the drafting of policies, procedures, and related guidelines within an area of expertise to meet defined key principles and ensure compliance with external requirements.
- Internal Client Relationship Management: Contribute to the management of partnering relationships with internal clients, building effective working relationships and providing high-quality professional services to support in delivering business strategy and plans.
- Performance Management: Respond to personal objectives and use performance management systems to improve personal performance. OR Monitor the performance of the team; allocate work and review completion, take appropriate corrective action to ensure timeliness and quality; contribute to formal individual performance management and appraisal.
- Recommendations: Advise others on how to design new processes and systems that meet professional standards.
- Information and Business Advice: Resolve queries from internal or external customers or suppliers by providing information on complex processes and the related policies, referring to others where necessary for interpretation of policy.
- Research: Develop and/or deliver a plan for significant aspects of a research program with guidance from senior colleagues.
- Risk Scenario Modeling: Analyze, assess, and quantify the risks associated with products/individual applications/business activities/the market to determine whether any risk is within the agreed risk appetite. Undertake tactical risk modeling.
Decision Quality: Makes good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
Ensures Accountability: Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments.
Communicates Effectively: Develops and delivers multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
Collaborates: Builds partnerships and works collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
Persuades: Uses compelling arguments to gain the support and commitment of others.
Develops Talent: Develops people to meet both their career goals and the organization's goals.
Optimizes Work Processes: Knows the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
Plans and Aligns: Plans and prioritizes work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
Customer Focus: Builds strong customer relationships and delivers customer-centric solutions.
Business Insight: Applies knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization's goals. Monitors business news and market changes for impact on the business or on own expertise area; uses this to shape decisions.
Education / ExperienceEDUCATION:
Planning and Organizing: Works without supervision and provides technical guidance when required on planning, organizing, prioritizing and overseeing activities to efficiently meet business objectives.
Policy and procedures: Works with limited guidance to develop, monitor, interpret and understand policies and procedures, while making sure they match organizational strategies and objectives.
Questions Strategically: Works with limited guidance to uncover clients' explicit needs and/or unforeseen opportunities and challenges.
Analyze Alternatives and Recommend Solutions: Works at an intermediate level to analyze potential solutions and create recommendations based on the expected benefits, costs, and overall value of the solution for key stakeholders.
Policy and Regulation: Works with limited guidance to interpret and apply knowledge of laws, regulations and policies in area of expertise.
Legal Communication: Works with limited guidance to communicate effectively on legal matters.
Legal Research: Works without supervision and provides technical guidance when required on researching and applying legal concepts and information.
Effectively Presents Solutions: Works with limited guidance to clearly present solutions that link directly to the key objectives and challenges important to the client.
Project Risk and Issue Management: Uses comprehensive knowledge and/or skills to act independently with guiding and training others on identifying, assessing, prioritizing and managing project related risks.
Project Management: Works without supervision while providing technical guidance when required on managing projects and/or programs within desired cost, time and quality parameters.
- Doctor of Jurisprudence (J.D.) or equivalent degree required
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience as an attorney in the pharmaceutical industry or at a firm advising pharmaceutical clients on pricing
- Experience & demonstrated ability to collaborate, build and sustain effective partnerships with multicultural key stakeholders and project teams
Up to 25% travel is required based upon business needs.
- Previous law firm experience preferred
- Experience of managing external service providers preferred
Come discover more about Otsuka and our benefit offerings; https://www.otsuka-us.com/careers-join-otsuka.Disclaimer:
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the people assigned to this position. It is not intended to include every job duty and responsibility specific to the position. Otsuka reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Otsuka is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status, or any protected status.Valid Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination or Accommodation
The COVID-19 Vaccination is mandatory for incoming new hires and employees. Uploading documentation with proof of full vaccination record or an Otsuka approved accommodation will be required during the pre-employment process as permitted by law. New hires must be fully vaccinated unless there is an approved accommodation prior to start date.Statement Regarding Job Recruiting Fraud Scams
At Otsuka we take security and protection of your personal information very seriously. Please be aware individuals may approach you and falsely present themselves as our employees or representatives. They may use this false pretense to try to gain access to your personal information or acquire money from you by offering fictitious employment opportunities purportedly on our behalf.
Please understand, Otsuka will never
ask for financial information of any kind or for payment of money during the job application process. We do not require any financial, credit card or bank account information and/or any payment of any kind to be considered for employment. We will also not offer you money to buy equipment, software, or for any other purpose during the job application process. If you are being asked to pay or offered money for equipment fees or some other application processing fee, even if claimed you will be reimbursed, this is not Otsuka. These claims are fraudulent and you are strongly advised to exercise caution when you receive such an offer of employment.
Otsuka will also never ask you to download a third-party application in order to communicate about a legitimate job opportunity. Scammers may also send offers or claims from a fake email address or from Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc, and not from an official Otsuka email address. Please take extra caution while examining such an email address, as the scammers may misspell an official Otsuka email address and use a slightly modified version duplicating letters.
To ensure that you are communicating about a legitimate job opportunity at Otsuka, please only deal directly with Otsuka through its official Otsuka Career website https://vhr-otsuka.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External.
Otsuka will not be held liable or responsible for any claims, losses, damages or expenses resulting from job recruiting scams. If you suspect a position is fraudulent, please contact Otsuka's call center at: 800-363-5670. If you believe you are the victim of fraud resulting from a job recruiting scam, please contact the FBI through the Internet Crime Complaint Center at: https://www.ic3.gov, or your local authorities.
This job has expired.