The Cook will provide quality food service in accordance with all State and Federal regulations and to meet the nutritional and individual needs of the residents.
- Completes defined food preparation, serving of meals and cleaning duties according to proper procedures, using various dietary equipment and supplies, as assigned by the Director of Dietary and Management Team.
- Plans and initiates cooking schedule for food preparation to meet meal schedule.
- Prepares, seasons, cooks and serves meat, main dish, soup and vegetable for assigned meal; ensures appropriate portioned servings according to portion control standards.
- Prepares nutritional snacks for residents as assigned.
- Tastes and smells prepared food to determine quality and palatability.
- Monitors temperature of hot and cold foods through food preparation and service to ensure that established temperature goals are met prior to steam table transfer and maintained throughout meal service.
- Stores leftovers properly, plans for use of leftover foods in accordance with State and Federal sanitation regulations.
- Supervises dietary staff in the absence of the Director of Dietary and Assistant Director of Dietary; initiate replacement calls for absentees and re-organizes work assignments as directed.
- Assists with department inventory program.
- Implements menu substitutions if needed according to State and Federal regulations.
- Cleans equipment and work areas as assigned by the Director of Dietary.
- Friendly and enjoy working with the elderly.
- High School diploma/GED required preferred. Education in quantity cooking and therapeutic diets preferred.
- Minimum of one year food service experience in a healthcare dietary setting preferred.
- Must be eighteen (18) years of age.
- General knowledge of quantity food preparation and portioned serving required.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with various levels of staff, residents, family members and the public.
- Numerical ability necessary to make various computations in keeping work record, monitoring inventory control and supplies, and in recipe preparation.
- Possesses adequate strength and endurance to meet the strenuous physical demands of preparing and carrying quantity foods.
- Possesses coordination and dexterity required to prepare food and operate dietary equipment.
- Able to understand and follow procedures, recipe directions, diet orders and work assignments.
- Works in an area that is often very hot/cold.
- Ability to utilize computers and other electronic devices for tasks such as timekeeping, in-servicing and documentation.