Chef Production Manager - 502355
The Chef/Production Manager is a member of the Heilman Dining Center management team. The Chef/Production Manager is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing the daily operation of all Heilman Center residential food production functions and supports catering, including presentation, quality, and service of food, menu planning, financial accountability, safety, and sanitation practices.
- Manages, and assists, in all aspects of daily residential and Heilman Center catering food production.
- Manages menu management software system:
- Monitors food, purchasing, inventory, and labor records to ensure accuracy.
- Maintains established health, safety, and service standards; establishes and maintains approved sanitation/HACCP codes and procedures.
- Works collaboratively to conduct menu review meetings, develop new menu concepts, menus, and recipes. Tests and costs recipes.
- Collaborates with purchasing department to ensure accurate product specifications, menus, recipes, availability, and inventory.
- Monitors and directs the maintenance and care of facilities, equipment, supplies, and materials.
- Communicates with staff for the marketing and advertising of daily services and special functions.
- Promotes the positive reputation of Dining Services and the University through effective public relations and communications with customers and staff.
- Manages special projects, as assigned.
- Provides leadership and hands-on direction, training, and supervision to food production staff utilizing current techniques in production, presentation, and service.
- Ensures all food production meet established standards for quality, presentation, temperature, and portioning.
- Supervises and maintains required levels of sanitation and safety standards in all production areas, according to the Virginia health code regulations and department standards.
- Assesses staff training needs; researches and delivers appropriate training programs. Serve as a culinary resource to promote quality food services.
- Enforces Dining Services policies and rules.
- Provides coaching and guidance to staff.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Schedules staff and assigned duties.
- Opens or closes the facility according to established procedures.
- Maintains all required logs, records, and files.
- Conducts annual staff performance reviews.
- Creates required financial and related reports.
This position requires:
- Long periods of standing and walking in conditions that are often, hot, humid, or cold.
- The ability to lift 50 pounds.
- The use and operation of typical kitchen tools and equipment.
- Ability to work outdoors in varying weather conditions, on occasion.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- General knowledge of effective management and customer service principles:
- Ability to exercise flexibility and work under pressure to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions.
- Thorough knowledge of food quality standards, safe food handling practices, and HACCP procedures.
- General knowledge of Microsoft Office software and point-of-sale systems; ability to learn new software programs.
- Required: Must have a valid Driver's License and be able to produce a driving record with a minimum of 3 years of driving history in good standing
- Associate degree in a culinary field, or 5 years' experience as a cook in a high-volume foodservice operation required.
- Associate degree in foodservice management /related field, preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years' supervisory/management experience, required.
- Minimum of two years' experience with menu management or hospitality software in a high-volume foodservice operation, required.
- Full-time, exempt position
- Hours vary from 6 am to 3 pm, 7 am to 4 pm, 8 am to 5 pm, 9 am to 6 pm, and 10 am to 7 pm; 7.75 hrs./day, 38.75 hrs./week
- All Production Managers are designated as essential personnel . All Production Managers will exhibit the willingness to be available to the University in time and presence to ensure proper operation and management of dining activities.
Pay Grade 6 (Hiring Range $44,775.00 to $59,325.00 annually) COVID-19:
The University of Richmond requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all students, faculty, and staff. The University allows exemptions to this requirement for religious, medical and strong personal conviction reasons. All newly hired employees must report their status within the first two weeks of employment. ABOUT UR
At the University of Richmond, we're creative, inclusive, and determined. We're Spiders, and our mission is to create positive change in the UR community and beyond. Located minutes from downtown Richmond, Virginia, the University of Richmond ( www.richmond.edu ) blends the intimacy of a small college with exceptional academic, research, and cultural opportunities usually found only at large institutions. There's only one place like Richmond.
UR is committed to developing a diverse faculty, staff and student body, and to modeling an inclusive campus community which values the expression of differences in ways that promote excellence in teaching, learning, personal development and institutional success. In keeping with this commitment, our academic community welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and candidates who support diversity. EOE