Catering Cook I - 501857
Cook I is an entry level kitchen position. Working under direction, Cook I prepares food in quantity, and is responsible for maintaining high standards for food quality while practicing proper sanitation, food safety, and cooking procedures.
In the assigned unit, this position may perform some or all of the following:
- Cooks and prepares food as directed according to established recipes, special dietary or nutritional restrictions, or numbers of portions. Cooking may include display cooking.
- Cleans, cuts, and cooks all food products as assigned, including meat, fish, poultry, starches, and vegetables.
- Garnishes foods.
- Cleans, sets up, and breaks down kitchen equipment, appliances, and work areas to ensure cleanliness and functional operation.
- Operates kitchen, line equipment and machinery according to established safety procedures.
- Covers, labels, and dates all food products, and follows all food safety rules for proper storage.
- Monitors serving lines and ensures an adequate supply of food items, per the menu of the day, for the entire service period.
- Monitors and records temperatures of foods stored in refrigeration, in hot boxes, and on the serving line to ensure safe temperatures.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Maintains cleanliness of the productions areas.
- Washes pots, pans, dishes, utensils, and other cooking equipment, as needed.
This position requires long periods of standing and walking, and the ability to lift 50 lbs., in conditions that are often, hot, humid, or cold. Must be able to safely use and operate typical kitchen tools and equipment. Must be able to work outdoors in varying weather conditions, on occasion. QUALIFICATIONS:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Basic knowledge of culinary techniques and practices.
- Knowledge of quantity food production principles and safe food handling practices.
- Skilled in using effective time management to accomplish tasks.
- Skilled in reading and written and verbal communication.
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions and procedures.
- Ability to exercise flexibility and to work calmly and efficiently under pressure in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to provide a high level of customer service.
- Ability to monitor and maintain quality control standards.
- Ability to work cooperatively as a part of a team.
- High school diploma or GED.
- One year experience preferred.
- Safe food handler certification preferred, or certification obtained within one year of hire. (This is dependent on the assigned unit.)
- Full-time, non-exempt position
- Hours vary from 6 am to 3 pm, 7 am to 4 pm, 8 am to 5 pm 9 am to 6 pm and 10 am to 7 pm.; 8 hrs./day, 40 hrs./week
- This position is designated as essential personnel and, during inclement weather and emergency situations, is required to be available to the University as needed
Pay Grade 1 (Rate starting at $15.00 per hour) COVID-19:
The University of Richmond requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all students, faculty, and staff. The University allows exemptions to this requirement for religious, medical and strong personal conviction reasons. All newly hired employees must report their status within the first two weeks of employment. ABOUT UR
At the University of Richmond, we're creative, inclusive, and determined. We're Spiders, and our mission is to create positive change in the UR community and beyond. Located minutes from downtown Richmond, Virginia, the University of Richmond ( www.richmond.edu ) blends the intimacy of a small college with exceptional academic, research, and cultural opportunities usually found only at large institutions. There's only one place like Richmond.
UR is committed to developing a diverse faculty, staff and student body, and to modeling an inclusive campus community which values the expression of differences in ways that promote excellence in teaching, learning, personal development and institutional success. In keeping with this commitment, our academic community welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and candidates who support diversity. EOE